cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnnyboy1964
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Wholehome or Connect with SmartHub 2 , that is the question?

I have been talking to BT today and they have no idea about my query which is weird considering they are the supplier & i have lost the will talking to umpteen people!

Does anyone out there know the answer to my questions below?

is  BT connect (black discs) now better than BT Wholehome (white discs) when using a smarthub 2?

Should the wifi be disabled on the Smarthub 2 if using BT Wholehome ( white discs) and therefore connected via ethernet or enable the wifi on the smarthub 2 and unplug the ethernet and move the master disc to another position away from the hub?

This will be interesting to see if anyone knows the answer?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10

Re: Wholehome or Connect with SmartHub 2 , that is the question?

@Johnnyboy1964wrote:

I have been talking to BT today and they have no idea about my query which is weird considering they are the supplier & i have lost the will talking to umpteen people!

Does anyone out there know the answer to my questions below?

is  BT connect (black discs) now better than BT Wholehome (white discs) when using a smarthub 2?

It depends on the operating environment and any coverage issues, If one router and one disc cover the whole area to be covered then why do you want a mesh?

Should the wifi be disabled on the Smarthub 2 if using BT Wholehome ( white discs) and therefore connected via ethernet or enable the wifi on the smarthub 2 and unplug the ethernet and move the master disc to another position away from the hub?

Why would you leave it turned on? the idea of the mesh is to replace your router wi-fi not augment it

This will be interesting to see if anyone knows the answer?

0 Ratings
Johnnyboy1964
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for your response.

i have a large house so therefore went for the Mesh and was advised to switch the hub wi-fi off.

I have 4 discs in the house. 3 downstairs inc master and 1 upstairs. the other one is in my summer house approx 60 metres away from the last disc in the house.

Therefore its pointless having the smarthub 2 really then?

J

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 10

The mesh system will work with any router, it doesn't have to be an SH2 or any other BT device

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

@Johnnyboy1964 wrote:

Therefore its pointless having the smarthub 2 really then?

How do you intend to connect to your broadband service without it?

0 Ratings
Johnnyboy1964
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I meant against the  hub 5 router.

BT recommended i upgrade to smarthub 2 but because i have the wholehome setup its pointless as the master disc is connected to the router via ethernet.

The only benefit of me having the smarthub 2 is to enable the wifi on it and move the master disc to another position in the house to give me a wider coverage but i can also do that with the hub 5!!

As i said, pointless me upgrading from what i can see!!

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 10

There are two products, complete Wi-Fi (Black Discs) and WholeHome (white Discs)

If, as you said earlier,  you have a mesh system then you will have the white discs and you don't need to change the router.

If you have the black discs then you do need the SmartHub2 as the they won't work with any other hub

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Ah, understand now. Stick with HH5

0 Ratings
Johnnyboy1964
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I know its a bit complicated!

Do you think its worth changing the router , moving the master disc so it works on wifi from the router rather than hard wired?

Maybe use the faster antenna`s of the smarthub 2?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 10

No matter where you locate the router,  it won't give better coverage than the mesh.

Personally I would use the SH2 with the wi-fi turned off but that's just my preference

0 Ratings