Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
himonster
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

WiFi Discs & Ethernet

Hi, 

So whilst I saw no improvement using the discs with my smart hub, I did notice something I thought was really good, but unclear on why it works?!

In my office, I have an Xbox 360 console that performs poorly via wifi. I get around 2mb on speed tests.

I plugged a disc in and wired the xbox 360 to the disc, and speed tests dramatically changed to 50mb?

Surely these discs can't act as though you're wired to the smart hub?

Any idea how this works? Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: WiFi Discs & Ethernet

@himonster 

It would because you are using the full backhaul link bandwidth to the home hub, instead of a repeated wireless signal which is sharing the wireless channel with the backhaul link.

Only one device can communicate on a wireless channel at a time, so if your Xbox was connected by wireless, it would be sharing it with the backhaul path.

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thanks. Still doesn't make sense though. The xbox is still technically not connected to the smart hub directly so I would have thought connecting it to a disc wouldn't have made such a significant difference.

What you're saying then, is that going wired into a disc is as good as going wired directly into the smart hub itself?

If so, how is that possible?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@himonster wrote:

Thanks. Still doesn't make sense though. The xbox is still technically not connected to the smart hub directly so I would have thought connecting it to a disc wouldn't have made such a significant difference.

What you're saying then, is that going wired into a disc is as good as going wired directly into the smart hub itself?

If so, how is that possible?

If the backhaul wireless path is good, then you would expect a fast connection speed, remember it can use 5GHz wireless backhaul if within range.

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I don't understand though. It's still wireless to the smart hub, so why is the xbox 360 downloading much quicker connected via ethernet to a wireless disc than the wireless router?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@himonster wrote:

I don't understand though. It's still wireless to the smart hub, so why is the xbox 360 downloading much quicker connected via ethernet to a wireless disc than the wireless router?

The Ethernet interface will always be faster than wireless, as it does not suffer from interference.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

The Ethernet card and the WiFi card could have their own drivers and limited performance. What discs are you using BT complete WiFi or a Whole home product.
0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I think maybe you're thinking something different here...

My smart hub is downstairs.

I have set up a WiFi disc (black ones you get to go with the smart hub) upstairs so it's wireless.

My Xbox connects to WiFi but only gets a max speed of 2mb.

If I plug an ethernet cable into the back of the disc and into the Xbox, the Xbox speeds are 50mb+, as though I'd connected it wired to the hub itself, rather than the disc.

It's that which I'm trying to understand. Because although it's wired into the disc, it should still perform as it does when it's over WiFi surely.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

I am sorry, I cannot explain it to you any simpler, I suggest you spend some time reading up about the way that wireless devices communicate over a shared single channel which is also subject to interference from many other devices.

The discs are repeating the incoming wireless signal, so their wireless throughput will be much lower, as both directions are using the same channel. Connecting  by Ethernet, you are only using the single wireless path back to the home hub, so your Xbox is not having to share the channel with the backhaul.

I will have to leave it like that, but you have observed the results yourself.

0 Ratings
himonster
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I kind of get what you're saying, but it seems like the xbox 360 I have is really limited on wifi speeds - so 2mb approx. Other devices next to it get full wifi speed of 60mb+.

My question really, is that by connecting a device via an ethernet cable to the disc, is that as good as being wired to the router itself?

0 Ratings