cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dms05
Message 1 of 7

WiFi Extender 1200 problem

Go to solution

Just registered and my first use of this forum.  Hope I'm in the right section!

I've just bought a BT Dual Band WiFi extender 1200 and have a probelm that it won't find my Router WiFi Channel.  I can't find any info on the range of channels this extender covers.  I'm in the 5GHz range and using Ch149.  I suspect the BT gizmo doesn't cover this.  Pity they don't publish ANYWHERE the range of channels the device is compatible with!  Can anyone confirm the range?  Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: WiFi Extender 1200 problem

Go to solution

@dms05 Welcome to this user forum.

The extender uses the 2.4GHz band for the backhaul connection, so it will only connect if your router can transmit 2.4GHz.

Wireless extenders are usually a very poor choice. It far better to use one of the BT home hotspot devices.

0 Ratings
dms05
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Terrific answer.  Thanks.  As I'm located in a very heavily congested 2.4GHz location (probably 20 active AP's) I use 5GHz and hide at the very top end of the range as even the standard settings on new 5Ghz kit is very very congested!  The instructions and publicity for this gizmo is extremelt ambiguous and I would't have touched it if it clearly stated it was a 2.4GHz device - even the webpage for set up seems to infer it will work at 5GHz, at least it allows the user to enter details that infer it's working in the 5GHz range.  However you've clearly exposed the problem and I'm very grateful for that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Yes, it receives at 2.4GHz, but re-transmits at 2.4Ghz and 5GHz.

You best option would be a couple of broadband extenders (powerline adapters), with a 5GHz wireless access point connnected on the end.

0 Ratings
dms05
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I actually do have the powerline solution in place already but I run a second network via a VPN router which I wanted to extend a little and obviously can't have a second powerline network.  I'll return the BT gizmo and accept my current situation.  Thanks for the interest.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You can add additional slaved devices to an existing powerline network, provided they are the exact same make and model.

The main thing is that only one must be connected to the router, otherwise you will create an Ethernet loop.

0 Ratings
dms05
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Yes I've managed to do that in my experimenting!  I do have I one final choice - to move my VPN Router to the other end of the powerline network and attach the VPN directly to the equipment I need it for.  Not sure what sort of speeds I can expect if I do that.  Currently by 80MB/sec fibre translates to c.17MB via the VPN.  If I ever try I'll post the results here!

0 Ratings