Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Wifi Extender 600 won't connect to Home Hub 6

Go to solution

Hi,

trying to get a brand new 600 to connect to almost new hub and it just won't.

WPS fails every time and plugging in via ethernet and trying to setup that way results in a failed connection too.

I've just done a firmware upgrade and am ready to send it back to amazon... Any ideas?

Wireless works well for rest of house...

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Wifi Extender 600 won't connect to Home Hub 6

Go to solution
Try entering the Wi-Fi code manually WPS can have problems sometimes
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi John,

thanks for the reply, sorry, yes I have tried manually entering the password, it just fails every time.

Have to do a reset and start again each time, tried it wirelessly and with ethernet cable, same result.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

@stinkyfive what lights are showing on the extender? Is it showing too close or far away?

It may be worth giving the helpdesk a call before you return it as they may be able to get this sorted.

By phone: 0808 100 6116

Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.30pm

Saturday 9.00am to 2.00pm

By email: btconnectedhome@bt.com 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I had the same problem when my Hub 5 was replaced by the Smart Hub (6). WPS wouldn't work and I couldn't use a browser over WiFi to access the Extender because the Smart Hub always over-rode any connection attempt. On the Extender both the Near and Far lights were flashing red after a re-set.

The solution was to connect the PC directly to the Extender via Ethernet with no connection to the Hub at all. The Extender was re-set. Typing the Extender address 192.168.1.1 into a web browser opened the Extender Manager via its network key. This then allowed the Hub to be selected from the list of available links. Entering the Hub password/key successfully linked the Extender to the hub. The location of the Extender to the Hub needs to be within range when you do this.

After disconnecting the Extender it was successfully re-located and linked to the Hub. There is no need to use the WPS at all once the connection has been established manually.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Hi,

thanks for your input, I did however use ethernet to try and manually connect to the HH6, nothing I did worked. The WPS button works perfectly for other devices (it's not something I usually use as the router is in my son's bedroom, so I just enter the password manually).

I have now returned the extender to amazon. 

Thanks though, Elliot.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you so much - worked perfectly

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks. Worked for me using a Netgear extender and a Home Hub 5

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi StinkyFive,

Did you ever find a solution?  I'm having the exact issues as you had with no joy at all!

Have tried two different BT 610 extenders an now on to another brand extender all together and none will find my router manually configured or via the WPS button.

Any help gratefully received.

RT

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

WiFi extenders are in my experience a waste of money and have caused me endless frustration and hassle, not to mention that they choke your normal WiFi speed (compared to direct WiFi).

I therfore abandoned them completely, using either direct WiFi where possible (ie when within range) or using powerline adapters which have proved excellent (currently using a pair of them for my Smart TV -- no configuration necessary, no WiFi keys or WPS to mess with - - - just plug it into a mains socket, connect to the device with ethernet cable - - job done.

0 Ratings