Message 12 of 32

Re: Wifi extension or hotspot help

So should I cancel the split ssid
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 32

It will do no harm to leave it split. You can then see which one you are connected to.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 32

@jfb0511 wrote:
So if I plug one in to back of smart hub it will select automatically the channel then I can plug two more in over the house no wires

The hotspots are totally independant of the hub wireless and transmit their own signal, you can either leave them on the channel they use or manually change the channel.

0 Ratings
jfb0511
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 32

Thank you all for help I went and bought the BT hotspot and extenders pack but THEY DONT WORK with bt infinity fiber broadband ... they connect first 'bit' by a Ethernet cable then the others plug in over the house and it creates own wifi name but it says no internet connection and base unit has no green data light .. 

so to summerise BT smart hub with infinity 2 fast speed only works in 2m radius ... was told by BT when asking on support (21/2hours on phone) well depends how thick your walls are , and the size of house for how far fiber broadband will reach .so their advert which says "fiber super fast speed and will reach areas other broadband won't " isn't true! . I split the channels as someone suggested but hotspot only works on 2ghz and the reach for all family and iPads lap top etc bout 2-3m

thank you , phoned BT to cancel and reinstate hub 4 and they say up to 10 days to reinstate old working system and meanwhile no internet in house bar in front of hub ( which goes orange and drops continually)

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 32

It sounds very frustrating. The router probably isn't important, HH4 or HH6 will likely have the same attenuation issues with your walls as that's just physics in action.

I worry about the extenders not working out for you as you'll probably need something like this for either router. There should be nothing fundamental in terms of the technologies involved which prevents the extenders working with Infinity. The extender is basically wireless access points hanging connected over HomePlug which carrying ethernet frames over your power wiring. I have this arrangement on Infinity 2 but with a different brand of product and an external, rather than integrated, access point. I have sometimes found it hard to pair HomePlug adapters (for my hardware I'm usually holding the pairing button for too long).

Maybe give the extender set up another try and see if it works out any better. If not, return them, and try a different brand. Pretty much all the consumer networking companies have offerings in this space. Searching for "Powerline WiFi extender" should bring up some options.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 32

Powerline adapters are totally agnostic to the broadband technology in use. Have you plugged them directly into the mains socket or via a power strip? They should be plugged in directly.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 32

The BT Hotspot extendes DO work with BT Infinity broadband. 

There is either a problem with:

a) the way you have connected them.

b) The electrical circuit in your house.

c) The extenders you have received are faulty.

d) The Smarthub you have is faulty.

Did you connect the extenders up in accordance with the instructions?

https://www.shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/bvfb/wi-fi_home_hotspot_plus_600_kit_qsg.pdf

Did you try setting them up in the same room first to ensure that they were working correctly?

Is the electrical wiring in your house all on the same consumer unit (fuse box)?

If the Smarthub light is constantly turning orange it would appear that there is a fault with your broadband connection and or the Smarthub.

Do you have the Smarthub plugged into the master socket? Can you try connecting it into the test socket on the master socket. and see if it stops the orange light.

Test socket.jpg 

0 Ratings
jfb0511
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 32

Hi I bought the bt mini hotspot pack 3 , one plugs directly into my wall in plug next to hub with Ethernet cable and other two in other rooms , they all connect and ' talk ' 'find' each other but on main plug ie hotspot the three lights show no data , the hub on trying to connect via iPad shows NO INTERNET CONNECTION 

0 Ratings
jfb0511
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 32

Thank you for your help.

very frustrating and BT Helpdesk send me round in circles ... they say to expect callback by 14th August and meanwhile patchy service goes flashing orange 4 times an hour , can't get data button on hotspot to work and all in all really fed up with this infinity system and smarthub .bt now say to cancel an engineer needs to re activate my old system and that's up to a month 

0 Ratings