cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 32

Re: Wifi extension or hotspot help

Can you try first of all connecting the Ethernet cable to a different port on the Smarthub. If that still does not work can you try connecting a laptop or other device to the Smarthub by the Ethernet cable to make sure  that the Ethernet port is working.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 32

The main unit that plugs into the home hub, is not a hotspot, its just a master unit. The other two are the hotspots and have the SSID written on them.

Only the main unit must be plugged into an Ethernet port on the home hub. This unit has only one Ethernet socket.

If its showing no data light, then that could indicate that the cable from the home hub is faulty, or not pushed in far enough at both ends, it should click int place, and should not easily pull out without releasing the catch.

Its also important not to use the option to close the home hub settings, as that can cause issues. The hotspots are best left as separate SSIDs which you connect wireless devices to, instead of the home hub SSID.

jfb0511
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 32

Thanks for this , yes I followed the instructions to a t and the cable is in etc etc , says no data , I left hi ssid alone and logged on to hotspot but it says no internet connection
Phoned bt again to state it cuts out again and again and they say faulty hub as line fine . Will send a new hub out in 3-5 days but then the cooling off period is non valid ..
I have received faulty hub in told by diagnostics but can't say whether the range will be any better , you have 15 days in told from order date to cancel
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 32

If it is a faulty Smarthub why are you so desperate to cancel. Once the hub gets replaced everything will be up and running and if the wireless adaptors perform as they should everything should be OK.

0 Ratings
jfb0511
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 32

The help and fault line i.e. Technical help said even though it's faulty hub they can't guarantee the range will be anymore than 6m and even though they sent faulty hub , it will take 3-5 days to replace then if that doesn't work due to Wales etc etc I get charged cancellation and equipment fines . So I think best to go back to what did work i.e. Old hub 4 with huge range !
Terrible service from BT in the calls
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 32

Entirely up to you but I think you are making the wrong choice for the wrong reason.

If you do not want to use the Smarthub you would either buy an Openreach modem on ebay for a few pounds and connect that up and plug your Homehub 4 into that. This would mean you would still be on Infinity and not have to go through the cancellation and re-installation process of moving back to "normal" broadband.

Or you could buy a decent third party VDSL Modem/router which again would allow you to stay on Infinity without going back to your old broadband.

jfb0511
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 32

Bloney you are more helpful and aware than BT technical helpline .. they quoted things like ' well no guarantees infinity will reach through more than one wall etc etc , then they did diagnostics again and said two options I cancel and go back hub 4 or wait and see if new hub was any better . If it wasn't I would be out of 14 day period and they would charge me for new hub and cancellation
Bt were most unhelpful even though the diagnostics were pin point accurate . The but that was scary was they say they offer no definite s about range or line dropping as only up to houses with no concrete walls or bigger than 2000 ft
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 32

No ISP will guarantee wifi coverage, there are too many variables that can affect the signal. Also, all wifi devices are limited by law to the power that they can output in this country so all are the same.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 32

Unfortunately no ISP can offer guarantees about wireless range from their routers. There are far to many variables involved such as radio interference, construction of your property etc.

I would suggest that if your HH4 range was covering your property then the Smarthub will also give that coverage.

Virtually all ISPs routers have the same sort of range. This is because of the legislation regarding how much power they can put out and because they all generally use routers with internal aerials which limits the range in comparison to router with external aerials.

As regards the line dropping, if the line is disconnecting there is a fault and BT should and will fix that.

0 Ratings
jfb0511
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 32

Really do thank you and all for help received .. had BT old system for 3 years no probs , upgraded as caller came round and did hard sell. Sounded a dream , ordered it on 29th and arrived within 6 days and activated on 9th day , 3-30pm on Monday . First call to BT Monday at 5-15 as poor coverage ie 2m only and cut out every 10mins .. first help call resulted in well you need to get call back or chat online to solve ... no call back so called again at 8pm to be told aghh will only work if you split channels and use 5ghz channel .NO BETTER 

third call and told we are overloading it with 4 laptops and iPhones and iPads .. family if 5 ! Told range one room and if I want more buy BT hotspots , which they could deliver in 5 working days ... so as we need to work etc went to maplin and bought said item 

plugged in and got 2 people to check all correct no internet connection . Not working .. 4 more calls to BT and they said line fine and prob need to update all iPads etc to latest version ... hub drops out every 5 mins generally hangs then goes orange .. 2hr convo last night but BT closed at 9 so they said they would call back at 8am today ..no call back ..I phoned this morning at 10 and BT technical said lets run diagnostics as no records on my case left ! They then said automatically logs had been sent saying no internet and admitted maybe hub ! Maybe and then they said but give it 10 days as line and fault may settle , "usually takes 10days" they stated . When asked if then coverage better they asked if rooms I wanted it to string too had doors with metal on !!! And concrete walls ! Suggested they send new hub and HOPE it works better or I could be diverted back to sales and cancel and go back to old system which was working .

i stated I was appalled by this no win situation and stated I was sold something that wasn't true , they said I had 14 days from order which is this Saturday and if I get sent new hub EVENTHOUGH I never requested it but as faulty needed , they would charge for engineer and new hub ! And pay cancellation fee as out of 'cooling off period" 

still in shock BT sales and technical staff seem to say wait 10 days and see if any better , but then out of 14days and no guarantee.. felt had no choice but to cancel as all conversations were not as helpful as this forum .. 

more help in this community forum and quick responses . 

Bt helpline said split channels buy more gear , wait 10 days and work in one room for that 10days ! 

So cancelled with all calls logged as disgusted 

rant over but never for BT bad service 

0 Ratings