Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craigieboy37
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

fibre to premises issue

Go to solution

We have just got fibre to premises after having copper and yes the speeds ar far greater, but im stil getting lagging on xbox games and when browsing on internet and still buffering on firestick, i understand wifi can do this but it seems to be no betther than before even with 3 bt discs upstairs and my xbox is wired connected to one of the discs, we do have alot devices in the house but i expected a direct fibre to the house to be much better than what im getting,  wireless speed tests are never close to what i shug  be getting wired, is there any tips on the discs or what i can do in the settings to help me out,

cheers

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: fibre to premises issue

Go to solution

@craigieboy37 

Which disks are you talking about, the white ones or the black ones?

Remember, all of the disks are using wireless to link back to the home hub.

They are all just wireless repeaters, and will suffer the same 50%  throughput issue as normal wireless repeaters, and have the same wireless interference problems.

You really need to use a wired connection, or perhaps powerline adapters, if wired is not practical.

Try connecting the Xbox directly to the home hub and see if the connection is better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
craigieboy37
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
Yeah its the black ones, i understand what your saying but i thought i wud have seen an improvent from having a hub 5 and nothing else to having a smart hub 2 and 3 discs, its a bit steadier but not what i was expecting, i mite try powerline adaptors and see how i go, cheers
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

The standard black disks only have a single wireless radio module, so they are only working in half duplex, as they have to receive first, then re-transmit.

I understand that the new premium ones have two wireless modules, so they can operate in full duplex, but they cannot be mixed with the older ones, as far as I am aware.

Powerline adapters usually work much better, and are not affected by wireless interference.

0 Ratings
craigieboy37
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

thanks, how do powerline adapters work? 

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@craigieboy37 wrote:

Through your electrical wiring.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@craigieboy37 wrote:

They use the mains wiring to transmit radio frequency signals between the adapters. These are low frequencies compared with Wifi.

There is extensive error correction provided to overcome most mains interference, and normally provide a more stable connection than wireless.

BT sell Broadband Extenders, which are the same thing.

https://shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

0 Ratings
craigieboy37
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
do the adapters then need to be wired connected to a device? or do they boost the wireless signal in that room too?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

They are both Ethernet and wifi

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Many  are wired, but the hotspot 600 units do both. They have two Ethernet ports and a wireless transmitter.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html?fb=910

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html?fb=910

They are often a much cheaper and more reliable option, provided your mains wiring is of reasonable standard.

0 Ratings