Did you mean: 
dadthomps
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

mini hub kit set up

Go to solution

Hi

am not a wifi wizard!

I have bt infinity with bt hub6 and newly bought mini hub kit. got this set up to give better wifi thru thick walls.

only problem is I have to go into device settings to choose the mini hub network when I change rooms.

Can I change all ssids, that is bt hub 6 and min hub (both 2.4 and 5GHZ) to same name so that my devices wil always default to the best signal without me having to manually choose best wifi signal? 

My devices are all apple stuff. just for basic internet use and rare film download, no gaming

Any step by step solution or suggestions gratefully received.

have had online chat with bt chat line and not been resolved. have asked if a wifi extender would be better but no real answer given. would a BT wifi extender be easier but if so which one? mini hub is days old and possibly could be exchanged.

thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: mini hub kit set up

Go to solution

If you change them all to the same SSID you won't know which one you are connected to but your devices still won't connect any differently to how they do now. Forget wifi extenders, mini hub or hotspots are a better solution.  https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html

0 Ratings
dadthomps
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Hi, thanks for prompt reply. By connecting the same do you mean I will have to still go into settings and choose my "best signal"? For each device in each room?
This is more for my wife who is less wifi savvy than me. If they will connect automatically I don't need to know which one they are using, or do I? Thanks again
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Yes, although the SSID will be the same, the device won't necessarily switch to the new signal. Some devices will hold on to a poor signal rather than switch. If they have different SSIDs you can at least force a switch to a better signal. To achieve true seamless roaming between wifi signals you need a mesh system such as BT whole home wifi or equivalent.

0 Ratings
dadthomps
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for your input, appreciated. Ŵill stick with mini hub kit and have a little read about mesh system but simple is good for both of us. Will mark as resolved for now.

0 Ratings