cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

repurposing BT Home hub 2 as a wifi extender

Go to solution

Hi, I have already successfully repurposed an old BT Home hub 2 as a wifi extender. Can I repurpose another one to extend the wifi further, or is one the maximum. I am able to connect both old home hubs to the my master home hub using an ethernet cable splitter so that the are both connected via an  ethernet cable. I have tried to connect a second old hub but despite the additional Home hub blinking pink like the first one , I am not sure its working?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: repurposing BT Home hub 2 as a wifi extender

Go to solution

You can't use a splitter. Either run separate Ethernet cables from the master to each of the slave hubs or just daisy chain them all. I.e Master LAN port 1 > slave 1 LAN port 1  slave1 LAN port 2 > slave 2 LAN port 1

The first slave hub is just a 4 port Ethernet switch with wifi.

Don't forget to give the 2 slaves different IP addresses.

The blinking pink is because it hasn't got a DSL input and is no indication of anything else.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I would first temporarily disconnect the first wireless point after noting it’s IP address. Setup the second wireless point with a different static address. Finally daisy chain the second from the first. Not that I have been impressed by the Wi-fi performance of my BT router. Hence  I use an a repurposed Netgear router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi is it worth buying an Ethernet switch with wifi , then plugging in the Ethernet cable from the main hub and  then using any of the ports to plug separate ethernet cables to each of my two slave home hubs? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Why? You don't need to  unless you haven't got enough Ethernet ports on your main hub. You would only need a switch in any case to increase the number of ports, you wouldn't need wifi as it would be adjacent to the main hub.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, Thanks for the reply , my knowledge is very poor. I have been trying to extend my wifi from my incoming hub to a separate building used as an Airbnb and also onto the first floor of my home as the wifi signal is weak in the upstairs bedrooms.

I have had an ethernet cable put in my loft connected to the main hub  I was then hoping to plug this into one of my old hubs ? Should I then plug an ethernet cable from this old hub to link up with my second hub in the Airbnb?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Yes