Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

turning off wifi

Go to solution

I have turned off the wifi on my new smarthub 2 yet it is still the same, ie not wifi free, as showing from the readings on my RF meter. Can anyone explain why this is? thanks.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: turning off wifi

Go to solution

@stonerrock wrote:

I have turned off the wifi on my new smarthub 2 yet it is still the same, ie not wifi free, as showing from the readings on my RF meter. Can anyone explain why this is? thanks.

Because it will still be transmitting BT Wifi/FON.

You can opt out, but it can take 28 days for it to be actioned.

If you do not want any wifi, then you would have to use a third party router which has a wifi on/off switch.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution
Thnx. So if I leave it as it is (ie turned off) it goes off after 28 days? Crazy system! Why can't they simply design a router that goes from wifi to wifi free at the flick of a switch? Could you suggest a 'third party router ' I could use? Incidentally the readings Im getting on my RF meter from this new hub are not reassuring...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

@stonerrock wrote:
Thnx. So if I leave it as it is (ie turned off) it goes off after 28 days? Crazy system! Why can't they simply design a router that goes from wifi to wifi free at the flick of a switch? Could you suggest a 'third party router ' I could use? Incidentally the readings Im getting on my RF meter from this new hub are not reassuring...

Provided you are not on an ultrafast connection, then the TP Link W9970 (about £35), works just fine, and wifi can be turned off using a switch at the back, or via the web interface.

See this similar thread. https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Trying-to-opt-out-of-BT-wi-fi-to-prevent-my-BT-...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Hey Keith

Many thanks for this info. Very good of you, I will look into this router. Why BT has to make it so hard for anyone to switch off wifi is strange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

It is because it is not just a question of switching off the WiFi signal from your hub but also preventing your access to the BT WiFi signal at hotspots worldwide. If you don't provide a signal, you can't expect to use it whilst out and about.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution
Yes I can see that. But there must be others like me who dont want to use it whilst out and about. Surely BT could make it so it's simple to switch off entirely with the clear understanding you can't use it anywhere else. Seems a simple thing to ask for really. Perhaps BT believes everyone likes bathing in radiation for extended periods of time? Still, this is an old ludite speaking - I don't even use a smart phone and never will.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

As I have said, the only immediate guaranteed permanent solution, is to use a router which you can disable the wireless.

Even disabling BT Wifi, is not permanent. If the home hub is factory reset, either by the user or the helpdesk, it will be automatically re-enabled by default.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Yes thanks Keith.  A new modem as per your recommendation is on order and - hopefully - should be here any day.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

@stonerrock wrote:

Yes thanks Keith.  A new modem as per your recommendation is on order and - hopefully - should be here any day.

If you have any problems then please post back.

You may like to look at these pages for reference.

http://communityhelp.ddns.net/hardware/TP_link/w9970/hhreplace.html

As well as the switch on the back, you can disable the wireless from the web interface as well.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings