Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casaschi
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

upload/download counters on the BT smart hub

Have a "BT Hub 6A" smarthub with latest firmware SG4B1000E020

From the hub management pages, in the "Advanced settings",  "Technical log", "Information" section I noticed unexpected numbers for the "Data sent / received". I see an unexpectedly high number for the upload amount, much higher than the download amount.

However, if I look at the list of connected devices it shows the amount of data uploaded/downloaded by each and the upload numbers do not add up to the total shown in the technical log.

Has anyone noticed anything similar from their smarthub?

Is this a known software glitch from the smarthub when reporting usage? 

Or should I look at devices uploading data when they should not (but then why the per device report does not show this)?

It happens regularly and even after an hard reset (that I assume clears all counters).

Any feedback or reports of similar experiences appreciated.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
casaschi
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: upload/download counters on the BT smart hub

Some more data:

1. the technical log page shows 126 GB uploaded and 43 GB downloaded
  2. the sum of the values for each connected device as shown in the device list page shows 2.78 GB uploaded and 64.66 GB downloaded
  3. there should be no communication between devices; the vast majority (if not all) traffic from each device goes to/from the Internet

Data shown in 2. seems to reflect activity a lot more than 1.

The fact that 1. not only grossly overestimates the upload but also underestimates the download makes me think of a counter bug in the technical log.

0 Ratings
Gitfinger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I have the same thing happening.  Just five days after the HH6 did the scheduled forced reboot it's showing 101GB up and 24GB down - and that's on a 1.78Mb/s uplink (18Mb/s down).

I have two devices regularly on the hub (1 Windows 7 PC and 1 Android 'phone), and one Android tablet on for about an hour a week.  The PC is powered off overnight and wifi on the phone is turned off overnight.  The Network tab in the PC Task Manager shows neglible or no network activity unless I'm actually doing something on the Internet.

I do not use cloud backup services.

The the  only two other people who have my wifi password have not been within 200 miles for many months.

I live in a very rural area, so I know that there's no one sitting outside in a car for hours using the line.

The 'phone and PC are virus scanned regularly and real time protection is enabled on the PC.  No non-Play Store apps are installed on the phone.

Got to be a bug in the HH software.

0 Ratings
Gitfinger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

As a follow up to my previous post, just before the 14-day forced reboot my stats were 496GB up, 58GB down.

As I said before, my line has a sync speed of 1.78Mb/s, and a conversion web site tells me that even if the hub was able to transmit data at the sync rate, which we know it can't, it would take 26.5 days, 24/7, to upload 496GB at 1.78Mb/s.

0 Ratings