cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgfw201
Message 1 of 15

0.5mbps broadband...what are my options?

Hi

Looking for some advice.

I’m about to move to a property with absolutely awful broadband. It’s a farm, inside the M25 and near to some big towns. But the farm itself is fairly isolated, other than a few cottages on site there’s not really any houses for around 1km in any direction.

Currently the Broadband reaches 0.5mbps on a good day.

The Openreach site says we’re at the “Exploring Solutions” stage, which looks like basically they have no current prospect to improve it.

The SuperFastSurrey site has a load of postcodes listed on their plan for upgrade, nowhere anywhere us is listed however. 

I also can’t find any evidence of any local groups who are planning to club together to help improve it.

We’re planning to convert part of the farm to commercial use but can’t do so without a broadband connections.

So

1. What can/should I do to try and get the ball rolling with this?
  2. Is it better to approach this from a residential or business angle? It’s me paying for it either way, but if one will have more clout I will go down that route
  3. How much is it likely to cost to improve the connection privately? (We are 3.5km from the Exchange in Epsom if that helps).
  4. Current most likely plan is to get a 4G dongle and use that in the short term, there’s no other better options, are there? (No Virgin Cable either btw).

Thanks!

BT.png 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: 0.5mbps broadband...what are my options?

Contact SuperFastSurrey there may be vouchers available should you go down the business route. This forum deals only with redidential.

You mat get additional help from here. https://business.forums.bt.com/

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Think in terms of £000s rather than £00s though.

cgfw201
Message 4 of 15

Yep, aware of that. Looks like approx £3k grant available, but likely to cost £30k to solve?
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

Have you checked if Gigaclear have any plans? That's how many of the areas around me that currently receive terrible speeds are going to get upgraded, soon.
0 Ratings
cgfw201
Message 6 of 15

they don't currently but i have registered interest with them.
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

Ok, you say it only receives 0.5 mb. Is that line speed or download speed, because you should get closer to 3.5 mb according to the checker result. If all else fails, you could either purchase a router with a 4G fallback or a specific 4G router that you could put an unlimited SIM into, but that could be quite costly, depending on which provider you go with. Good luck! 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Yes, £3k grant but cost will be dependant on survey.

0 Ratings
cgfw201
Message 9 of 15

Download is normally less than 1mbps. Has been around 2 on occasion, but average is definitely nearer 0.5 than 1.
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

Right, ok. By "download" do you mean downstream line rate or download speed? Which router do you have?
0 Ratings