cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FruitSalad
Message 1 of 6

2/3rd speed broadband and multiple connection drops

Router worked perfectly at 52Mbs for 3 months. Go away for 3 weeks and come back to throttled Internet at 36Mbs and 10-20 connection drops per day.

Tech support want to replace the Hub but I don't see how the hub will have failed. When the connection is live there is no problem it is slower and will not stay connected. Any works been going on that affect our exchange? It seems like a pretty bad coincidence to see a significant drop in service only days after the early life failure period expires.

I honestly don't think a remote tech support half way around the world got to the root cause. They were very polite but simply followed the script, completed remote diagnostics but as that didn't return any significant results except to confirm the drop in speed they opted for a replacement hub. As someone mentioned in another thread I don't want to risk swapping a working hub for a potentially faulty one if it's not the root cause of the drop in service.

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084316+NQ71687653
Firmware version: SG4B1000B316
Firmware updated: 15-Aug-2017
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.64.0
DSL uptime: 0 Days, 7 Hours 36 Minutes 56 Seconds
Data rate: 19.00 Mbps / 40.72 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 25618 / 80232
Noise margin: 6.9 dB / 10.9 dB
Line attenuation: 15.6 dB
Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 163907 MB Uploaded / 156010 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Not active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-32R5
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-32R5
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On
MAC address: F4:6B:EF:2B:17:6B
Software variant: -
Boot loader: 7.33.1
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: 2/3rd speed broadband and multiple connection drops

Try quiet line test by dialling 17070 option 2 And see if any noise on line. Best done with corded phone 

have you you tried using test socket with a filter to see if that helps stabilise your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi @FruitSalad and welcome.

Was the hub switched off while you were away?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
FruitSalad
Message 4 of 6

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply, to my knowledge no I believe it was left on assuming there was no lengthy power outage. I have heard rumours that lines get throttled if they are under utilised (perhaps something to do with DLM?) but this wouldn't explain the intermittent connection nor why it hasn't returned to full speed now that we are utilising the connection again.

The stability of the connection has been better today.

Thank you for your suggestion Imjolly, while I am happy to assist with fault finding I do not believe the fault is with our property considering we were away for 3 weeks all the equipment remained untouched and was providing full speed and a stable connection before we left. I do not see why after 3 months of perfect service we would suddenly have to do something different to stabilise a connection. We do not use a phone at the property only mobiles so a quiet line test would require buying additional equipment. Ultimately I consider that as we pay BT for this service and given that we are not receiving the service we are paying for and the wiring, sockets and router were installed/provided by BT I believe BT should be completing the fault finding.

Regards,

Laurie

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Contrary to what you think should you get an engineer visit and the problem is found to be on your side of the test socket then that is your responsibility and if that is the problem and is fixed by engineer then you will get billed £129 for the call out. Ensuring that you have a dial tone and that there is no noise in your line using the test socket is the min test to eliminate your internal wiring as being the cause of the problem

you can get a corded phone from as little as £5 and may well save you the call out charge - but up to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@FruitSalad wrote:

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply, to my knowledge no I believe it was left on assuming there was no lengthy power outage. I have heard rumours that lines get throttled if they are under utilised  Not True(perhaps something to do with DLM?) but this wouldn't explain the intermittent connection nor why it hasn't returned to full speed now that we are utilising the connection again.

The stability of the connection has been better today.

Thank you for your suggestion Imjolly, while I am happy to assist with fault finding I do not believe the fault is with our property considering we were away for 3 weeks all the equipment remained untouched and was providing full speed and a stable connection before we left. I do not see why after 3 months of perfect service we would suddenly have to do something different to stabilise a connection. We do not use a phone at the property only mobiles so a quiet line test would require buying additional equipment. Ultimately I consider that as we pay BT for this service and given that we are not receiving the service we are paying for and the wiring, sockets and router were installed/provided by BT I believe BT should be completing the fault finding.

A basic corded phone costs around £5.00  and could avoid you being charged £129.99 if the fault is found to be with your internal wiring or ay device connected to th phone network also if it is a voice line fault causing the  problem (quite likely ) getting the fault cleared earlier as there are more voice engineers than broadband trained ones 

also very usefull in emergencies

Regards,

Laurie

0 Ratings