cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

2 BT sockets off same cabling

Go to solution

Hi

I have two BT sockets next to each other in the house, the one on the right has "disconnected" written on it.

On opening this socket I was presented with the following:

bt-sockets-new-2.png

The right hand socket has a white cable that is completely disconnected and a black cable that has 2 blue wires to the black L plate, 2 green wires to pins 2 & 5 and 2 orange wires going to the socket on the left.

The socket on the left is what i use for fibre broadband, does this seem like an unusual setup and are there any issues with it? Can i just screw the cover back on the right hand  socket and ignore it? I would like to replace the faceplate on my active socket to try and improve speed as i currently get approximately 50/14 speed on an 80/20 contract.

Also worth mentioning that i'm not interested in a phone line just broadband.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: 2 BT sockets off same cabling

Go to solution

The Socket that’s disconnected is using pair 1 (Blue White/Blue) as the Battery and Earth from the Exchange and Pair 3 (Green White/Green) has been used as a Back Wire. It’s connected to the Ring (3) and Earth (4) Terminals of the front plate so it most likely was for an Extension Bell.

If the sockets got no conditions on it, it wouldn’t cause any issues with Pair 2  (Orange White/Orange) that’s used to connect the socket that has your Broadband on. 

If it’s not used no harm in disconnecting it anyway.

Message 3 of 3

Re: 2 BT sockets off same cabling

Go to solution

Cheers Starwire

0 Ratings