cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomB1
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

27Mb speed on Infinity 2

For the past few weeks I've been having terrible speeds with my Infinity 2. I've consistently had speeds > 60Mb but recently they've dropped by more than half and not recovered. I replaced my HomeHub5 last week with a TPLink AC2800 as the HH has also started being really flaky (internet dropping completely and wifi going down to 20Mb/s speeds until a reboot to bring it back to 300Mb/s) but the internet speed hasn't improved at all. The router has a speed test facility built in so I'm getting results directly from the device connected to the internet. Upload is fine, averaging about 9MB/s, but I do have another maybe related issue where maxing out the upload (eg syncing to a backup service) will cause the internet to disconect so I have to apply a rate limit to prevent that from happening.

Current router stats for the connection are:

Current Rate (kbps)999827398
Max Rate (kbps)1594968084
SNR Margin (dB)10.118.4
Line Attenuation (dB)23.811.8
Errors (pkts)00

(I'm not sure where the Max Rate comes from but I've not had that kind of speed in a long time!)

and FTTC checker shows I should definitely be getting better speeds:

VDSL Range A (Clean)78.955.6201749Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)66.739.82011.432.8Available----

It's going to be tricky to get time off for an engineer to come round so hoping there's something that can be looked into before knowing for sure that I really need to, any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated

Tom

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: 27Mb speed on Infinity 2

it looks like all the drops in connection, resets and changes in router have resulted in your line in a banded profile.  is the line stable now?  is there any noise on quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best done with corded phone

if still dropping conenction have you tried using test socket with filter to see if that helps

unfortunately BT mods cannot help with a DLM reset unlike adsl at present but hopefully this will change in not to distant future   if line ok then only way to get DLM reset at present is with broadband engineer visit and fault found and fixed then engineer can request DLM reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TomB1
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply. Noise test seemed fine and connection has been stable since changing the router (and reapplying my upload rate limit). Should the DLM recover itself in time or am I stick until getting an engineer out to get it reset?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

With a stable connection the DLM should start to reduce you noise margin and speed increase but it can take weeks or sometimes months to get back to normal speed

the sooner BT mods get the facility to  reset DLM (if certain criteria are met) which openreach have made available the better and save all waiting and uncertainty of how long it can take

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings