cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigo93
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

2nd Replacement Router, now at 20mb

Just just had another replacement router from BT, old one was only 3 months old!

Anyway, I was getting 74mb before, but now all speedtest sites (except BT's own of course) show me as having only 20mb download. Even tred downloading Ubuntu from their server, got download speed of 2.1MB/s, again confirming i am not on the 74mb the BT speedtest site claims I am getting.

Just reset the router and modem, and speeds have gone up to 44mb/s.

So question is is my replacement faulty as well, or will it take time for their DLM to adjust to the new router? If the DLM why didnt the guy on the chat say that instead of repeatedly claim I am getting 74mb when SEVERAL other speed test sites were all showing be getting 20mb.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: 2nd Replacement Router, now at 20mb

While your speeds are not what you should be getting you would appear to be confusing megabytes MB/s with magabits Mbps.  2.1 MB/s is 16.8 Mbps. Most download sites show it as MB/s and not Mbps which most speed testers use.

Do not reset your modem again other wise DLM could see this as an unstable line and will lower your speeds. You can reset the home hub as often as you like.

If DLM has lowered your speed it will take two or three weeks to increase provided there are no faults on your line.

0 Ratings
bigo93
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Well the replacement router is giving me the exact same issues! Speeds stuck at 20mb unless I reset the router.

Tried to see if they were willing to replace the HH3 with a HH5, and wow, never have I seen a company so set on not replacing the router with a newer one! Not even the HH4, which I've looked up and technically when I joined in May I should have got that in the first place!

Only way they will give the HH5 is if I renew the contract. Honestly, I even asked them, what if the HH3 keeps failing as it does, every 1-2 months, based on my current experience having 3 HH3s in 5 months!

Well they are more than happy ro replace the HH3 every month if that is what happens even though it'll cost more to them.

0 Ratings
Wooloff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

My connection is also stuck at 20mb. I usually get 65-70mb down and 16-18mb up. My upload speeds is still the same but my download speed has been stuck at 20mb for a few days now.

I've not tried resetting the router yet, I don't like messing around with it. I will try it later though.

How long after you reset your router does it take for the speed to drop back down to 20mb?

0 Ratings
bigo93
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Hi not sure how long it took, but less than a day before all other speed test sites showed I was back on 20mb.

But again, reset the router and it went back to 74mb. BT tech support are unhelpful cos they only take into account their own speed test site. As I have said since I've only been with BT for 6 months I have agreed to renew the contract in order to try the HH5.

It's simply ridiculous that they are willing to replace it with a HH3 every month for the rest of the contract period, but refuse to send a HH5 to see if that could improve things. Maybe I should cancel the renewal and do that, will cost BT more 😛

And yes it's only the download speed that is affected with me as well, my upload is still around 15mb.

If you found this post helpful, then great! Who gives a c**p about the star rating and begging others to click it! If a person think it's deserving of a star they will give you a star, dont spam the end of all your posts with that junk!

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 12

@Wooloff. General rule: do NOT reset or play with the modem; don't worry about disconnecting/reconnecting or resetting the router.
Wooloff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Ah, good to know, thank you.

I reset the router and I'm back to full speed again. I'll see how long it takes to get back to the 20mb cap that it seems to reduce it's self to.

I already have the HH5.

0 Ratings
bigo93
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

LMAO great, so you are having the same issue with the HH5, her eI was hoping it would help fix it, guess no point in renewing the contract then if that is the case; though a full 4 port gigabit modem/router is tempting.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Bigo93 cancelling your contract will not cost BT anything it is you that will suffer the costs as you will have to pay cancellation charges for the outstanding period of your contract which is more then buying a home hub 4 or 5
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Also the BT wholesale speedtest is the only only one they will accept for fault finding as the results are saved on there server the same applies to all isp'sthat use the the wholesale / Openreach network
0 Ratings