cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AR_Help
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

33Mbps - Is YOUR Broadband only running at the Bare Minimum Speed of 33Mbps ?

I have been with BT Broadband for twenty or so years so I am a pretty loyal customer. But since I upgraded to BT infinity a few years ago I have always been quoted speeds far in excess of the actual minimum that I get in reality. I would like to quote the most recent example.

My BT package on my 2018 renewal quoted the following:

How fast will it be?
We estimate your:
download speed will be between 39Mbps to 55Mbps
upload speed will be between 8Mbps to 13Mbps.

Our commitment to you
The minimum download speed you can expect is 33Mbps.

In reality for 18 months I never made it above the bare minimum of 33mbps download in fact much of the time it was around 24-27mbps (nowhere near the 39-55 promised) and my upload speed was about 6.5mps not 8 to 13. This was on a Hub 5 but even when I moved to a Smart hub 6 nothing changed.

When I renewed this year I was promised the same deal but again I never got above 33mbps. So I decided to complain but the helpdesk ran dozens of line tests and could find no faults so I was stuck with it. In the end I emailed to the top guy at BT who passed it to his technical team in Newcastle. They got an engineer out and he could also find no problems whatsoever with the line so he fitted me a new wall socket that basically terminated the broadband at the Main Socket instead of allowing it to run to other sockets in the house. This was a bit of a "fudge fix" but it worked and I was happy and grateful for their help.

I now have a speed of 45mbps Download and an amazing 11mbps upload. But its still not in the 50's and it IS a fudge fix.

My question to all you guys out there is this. Is anyone else finding they are stuck at 33mbps which is the bare minimum BT "have" to give you in their agreement as opposed to the 40+ 50+ 60+ etc they actually signed up for? 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: 33Mbps - Is YOUR Broadband only running at the Bare Minimum Speed of 33Mbps ?

It's not a 'fudge fix' at all, internal wiring can and does (as witnessed by your example) have a hugely detrimental effect on broadband and is the first thing that should be eliminated when having speed problems.

Every customer's minimum speed is a bespoke figure for that line not a generic figure.

AR_Help
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Re: 33Mbps - Is YOUR Broadband only running at the Bare Minimum Speed of 33Mbps ?

Is there really any need to be so caustic about it - they were actually BT's OWN words !!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Not being caustic at all, just pointing out that the fix is the standard first thing to be done and is in no way a fudge as you stated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

post the stats from hub  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk   if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

enter your phone number and post results  see what your estimated range   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

your connection speed is limited by mainly your distance from the street cabinet

FTTC speed graph.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

@AR_Help wrote:

I now have a speed of 45mbps Download and an amazing 11mbps upload. But its still not in the 50's and it IS a fudge fix.

My question to all you guys out there is this. Is anyone else finding they are stuck at 33mbps which is the bare minimum BT "have" to give you in their agreement as opposed to the 40+ 50+ 60+ etc they actually signed up for? 

You have said that your speed is now 45Mbps which is within the  estimate of the speeds that BT said you would get.

Obviously the lower speed of 33Mbps , which you are now exceeding, was caused by a fault with either your internal wiring or your master socked. By disconnecting your internal wiring from the equation it increased your speeds so it would tend to indicate that the problem of low speeds was caused by that rather than BT not delivering the speeds estimated when you signed up.

As regards it being a "fudge fix" it is no such thing. Internal wiring can cause problems with the speeds, as was shown in your case. Unless you intend to plug the Smarthub into another socket there is no need for the broadband "to run" to the other sockets. If you do intend to plug the Smarthub into another socked you would need to ensure that the internal wiring was in excellent condition and that the socket you want to connect to had been changed to become your master socket. 

0 Ratings
AR_Help
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Fory pitys sake "Sages" give it a break lol.

It is a question - how many people out there are getting BTs MINIMUM SPEED instead of a speed in their advertised range.

As for the cabinet it is outside my house. And the internal wiring has no faults.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

@AR_Help wrote:

Fory pitys sake "Sages" give it a break lol.

It is a question - how many people out there are getting BTs MINIMUM SPEED instead of a speed in their advertised range.

As for the cabinet it is outside my house. And the internal wiring has no faults.

you came to forum looking for help and that is what you have been offered.  as far as your question about minimum speed read the forum posts and see for yourself

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AR_Help
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

No

That's not true - I came the the forums AND I ASKED ONE QUESTION

How many people are getting the minimum speed of 33mbps instead of a speed within their advertised range.

Nobody has answered that yet. In fact you guys have just put your "I used to work for BT/Engineer/Telecoms Retiree" hats on and tried to tear apart my reason for asking the question. 

But none of you have actually ANSWERED IT. Which is not particularly helpful in fact its positively obstructive.

So if you cannot answer the question can I suggest you keep quiet and stop repeating each other in your rush to "flame" a new poster....

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Hi All please keep your posts friendly.

cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings