cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myriad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

38mbit speed cap

I bought Infinity when it was max 38mbit, since then that package was upgraded to 52mbit, I was told so when I renewed my contract a few years ago. At that time the best my line would give me was about 39mbit, so I didn’t know any better but it seems like my line is capped at 38mbit on throughput. I only notice now because the line has improved quite a lot in the last few months for max sync, now over 45mbit but all speed tests max out at 38mbit. Is this possible - some config on the backend independent of sync rate capping me?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
myriad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: 38mbit speed cap

Adding some more info, wholesale reports IP Profile of 39.97mbit, modem synced at 45mbit:

sync.png

wholesale.png

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Your line isn't capped. You're on the 55/10 package, but your line can only support what it's connecting at.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

The figures quoted by BT are always connection speeds not download speed. No ISP guarantees download speed 

you currently have a 45mb connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
myriad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

My sync speed is 45mbit but no speed test results in higher than 38mbit, doesn’t the IP profile reporting 39mbit seem odd if I am synced 6mbit higher, or does that mean something else?

B0E82132-025B-45DC-9AEC-7FA39F9F075C.jpegF0293379-1618-4CAD-9265-FF4F99ADDF1F.jpeg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

your ip profile is set based on your connection speed to 39mb to allow for overheads and if you are getting 38mb download speed then your conenction is working well

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

If your IP profile was set too high, it would cause many issues like congestion at the exchange etc.
0 Ratings
myriad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Are you referring to IP overheads? That would make sense to me except that if I force my sync speed to be 39mbit then my max download stays at 38mbit, what overhead is in place then? I don’t understand the point of being moved onto a 3db SNRM, which brings me from about 40mbit up to 45mbit on sync, increasing the chance of line instability, for no change in the download speed?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

if you drop your connection speed to 39mb then your profile will drop below 38mb and therefore you will not get download speed faster than your profile

you would never notice if your download speed changed from 38mb to 40mb unless you were testing but for actual use there is virtually no download time difference

Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

@myriad, I agree! By default DLM applies reTX high for target SNRMs below 6 dB, which reduces the IP profile's percentage of the sync speed.
0 Ratings