cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abw13f
Message 1 of 10

3rd party router instead of BT home hub 3

Dear all,

Just got my infinity today and was hoping if someone can help with the below query please.

Can someone please run through a total set up how I get my Netgear DGN2200 connected to either via the hub or directly from the modem (white DSL Box) supplied and fitted by BT.

I have several bits of kit (Homeserver, xbox, bluray, amp, mediacentre,etc) which I had connect to a switch which are connected to the router on the Netgear DGN2200. Personally I don't want to use the BT hub as it is a pain to set up. Netgear is fairly easy to set up and I understand how some of the configuration work, not an IT expert but more an enthusiast.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Detection
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: 3rd party router instead of BT home hub 3

Connect the 'Internet WAN port' on the Netgear to the LAN1 port of the Openreach Modem, basically just swap it for the HH3

Connection Type: PPPoE

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: MyBT password (Some say its not needed, but it is for me)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Hi are you sure that the Netgear DGN2200 can be used with Infinity, a quick google showed it as an ADSL router.

A little mor research maybe needed and you may just have to use the HH3 for now. Should just be plug and play with any equipment, ensure anything plugged in is powered down 1st in order for it to obtain a new IP address.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Yeah, the Netgear DG routers are ADSL modems as well unsuitable for Infinity.
The Netgear WR routers are so-called cable routers and are suitable e.g. the wnr2000
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
abw13f
Message 5 of 10

Detection,

The Netgear does not have a wan port can I still connect my ethernet from modem to Netgear router and use this as a hub
0 Ratings
abw13f
Message 6 of 10

Dear Devon_dave, I understand that the hub is only a hub whereas the modem is receiving the traffic and directing it to the hub which inturn supports connectivity to my PC, ipad, iphone, etc etc. Can the Netgear ADSL router not be used as a hub as well. if so what confirmation would I need to look at?
0 Ratings
abw13f
Message 7 of 10

Dear Ray_dorset, surely you can use your ADSL as a hub as well if the traffic is coming through to the modem and flowing via ethernet to the hub which I am only guessing this is an ADSL router as well.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 10

The HomeHub's are PPPoE, you need a PPPoE supported router to be able to connect (at least good speeds, lucky if it even works).

The only other way is if you only have 1 device connected so like this

Master socket > Filter > Cable > Modem > Cable > Your PC (using ur pc as the router).

You then setup a PPPoE connection on your PC, though this isn't a very good way. It would be easier to purchase another PPPoE router or use the HomeHub (which is a router, it's just the name BT give it).

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 10

@abw13f wrote:
Dear Ray_dorset, surely you can use your ADSL as a hub as well if the traffic is coming through to the modem and flowing via ethernet to the hub which I am only guessing this is an ADSL router as well.

The HomeHub can used on ADSL because it has the technology, the router you have doesn't. It will need more technology and software to be able to handle a PPPoE connection.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

@abw13f wrote:

Yes you're right - the homehub is also an ADSL modem/router, but the homehub also has a WAN port which allows it to be used as a router only. The Netgear DGN2200 doesn't have a WAN port so can only be used as a ADSL modem/router.

The Netgear WNR2000 is only a router, it doesn't have a modem at all.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings