cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

4 Port Modem

Go to solution

Can I change the optical modem from the 1 port supplied to a 4 port like the HG8240.

does the modem have to be configured if changed. I am on full fibre 900

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: 4 Port Modem

Go to solution

You can't change the ONT (modem), your service is linked to the serial number.

Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

No you cant't the ONT serial number is registered to the address. What do you think you could use the extra ports for?  You can only attach 1 router to the ONT anyway.

Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

hi and thanks for info

I have my own router from the bt modem which is working fine. Its an Asus RTAC88u. I have and outside barn which I have a Netgear Nighthawk router which is cabled from the Asus.

I was thinking if I had the 4 port modem I could run direct, with better speeds? Rather than run through the Asus

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
hi and thanks for info

I have my own router from the bt modem which is working fine. Its an Asus RTAC88u. I have and outside barn which I have a Netgear Nighthawk router which is cabled from the Asus.

I was thinking if I had the 4 port modem I could run direct, with better speeds? Rather than run through the Asus
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

As I said, you can only connect 1 router to the ONT so you couldn't do what you suggest. I assume you've set up the Nighthawk as an Access Point rather than just connected as a router.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Yes set as access point

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

That's OK then otherwise you'd be double NATed.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

The ONT is Owned by Openreach and is associated with your property, as I understand it your full fibre service will be presented on either ethernet port 1 or 2, the only time you might use one of the other ports (if you have the four port Huawei ONT) is if you order an additional full fibre service, in which case you will have a new/seperate router in one of the other ONT ethernet ports, both services will be completely separate/segregated/ paid for. Things may have changed now that Openreach are installing the single port ONT's, but I did have multiple Broadband Services provided by a single ONT a few years back without issue.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Oh thanks for that. I thought I could just change router for extra ports to supply a wired connection to an out building.

Though it might be better. I did purchase a 4 port modem on eBay but from the comments on this community it is worthless as it is assigned to a property.

Never mind I got it for a few pounds. 

In the future I will ask advise on this service,which I have just joined.

You live and learn.

Many Thanks