Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andypurcell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

40/10 vs 80/20

Go to solution

Hi there,

I have had BT Infinity option 2 installed last week and it's working absolutely fine.

(I was getting around  17Mbps D/L before I manually tested all my channels one-by-one to end up with 36 Mbps)

When I signed up I opted for BT Infinity option 2 as there was no installation fee and it was only an extra £6/month. I'm just trying to find out where you would find out information about when/if my cabinet will be upgraded from 40/10 to 80/20 and I can start receiving the service that I am paying for for the next 18 months.

Cheers

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: 40/10 vs 80/20

Go to solution

The cabinet will already permit 80/20.   Your speed may be limited by the package choice, or may be limited by your distance from the cabinet, or other line quality issues.  If the limit is your line, you won't see any greater speed for 80/20 than for 40/10.

Goto http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and run the test.  Chose 'Further Diagnostics' and it should give a profile speed as well.  Post those, and we can give you more details.

When you say you tried all channels, do you mean you are running wireless?  If at all possible do a speed test wired.  Wireless should be able to go well into the 60Mbps range or more, but there are many reasons why it might not.  Even if you can run wired usually, a wired test gives extra information.

0 Ratings
andypurcell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Yeh I am generally using Wireless because my master socket is downstairs in an awkward position to use wired regularly in relation to the layout of my livingroom.

Anyway, Test results.

Wired

BT Wholesale WIRED.PNG

Wireless:

BT Wholesale WIRELESS.PNG

Is this a router issue then? Please give me any tips that I can follow to improve the wireless speed to get it inline with the wired speed.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

What type is your adapter G or N technology? If it's G you could upgrade to a N adapter then change the settings in the HomeHub wireless settings. You could invest into a pair of Powerline adaptors which is ethernet over power. They work like this

HomeHub > Cable > Powerline Adaptor > Plug socket > will transmit the signal via your house wiring > Plug socket > Powerline Adaptor > Cable > PC/Laptop.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
andypurcell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

My Network Adapter is:

DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card

I've just fiddled with a few of the advanced settings of this through "Computer Management" and I've increased my download speed by a steady 5Mbps.

So, just to confirm, if I buy two powerline adapters, all I do is plug one in to a powersocket beside my HomeHub and connect with an ethernet cable, then do the same beside my computer upstairs, and I should receive wired speeds?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

The speed you will get is how your house is wired (star wired is bad(old)) and the quality of your house wiring. I would recommend a pair of TP Link 500Mbps, a 200Mbps pair may not give you enough speed.

Yes, you just plug ethernet cable from the plug socket to the homehub and the other plugsocket to the PC/laptop.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
Guru
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

As Ryant says, 500Mbps powerlines should be ok.  Be careful not to plug them in on an extension, or in the other half of a twin socket with computer equipment in the one half.

You can check out wireless details by downloading the free inSSIDer.  That will show you the best channel to use; and may help with details of positioning the laptop or router.  Somtimes quite small changes to position or orientation can make a big difference in signal strength and thus in speed.  Generally, the HomeHub auto channel does not work all that well; finding a fixed good channel is usually better.  I get a nominal 144Mbps connection a couple of rooms from the router, which gives me pretty much the full speed of my broadband.

If you had wiring problems such as star wiring you wouldn't get the profile you mentioned above: so I think you are probably ok on that part.