cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitreklov
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

46% sync speed reduction following hub power cycle

Since my FTTC infinity 1 service was eventually connected back in March 2016 (https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Re-Broadband-Activation-Order-Not-Progressed/m-p/1598809#...) I have enjoyed a whopping 18000Kbps d/l, 2700kbps u/l sync speed, however somewhere between the 13th and 17th August the HH5 typeB modem now only manages a connection speed of 10000kbps down and 1700kbps up. A sudden and dramatic 46% reduction.

I have so far performed the following self help procedures with no improvement:

- Connected directly to the service socket bypassing the filter face plate (The face plate was replaced by an Open Reach engineer in March this year) = No difference

- Used the BT wholesale Speed test and confirmed the IP profile seems to tally with the sync speed

- Performed a quiet line test = while there was a very faint background hiss there was no hums, crackles or crackles on the line.

- I've left the HH5 alone in the hope that the DLM might up the connection speed, the current session 17 days with no change.

I have no additional internal wiring beyond the OR Mk3 master socket. The master socket is within 1.5m of the incoming wire that connects the property. The HH5 modem has a brand new RJ11 cable connection it to the master socket. There are no additional routers or noise emitting equipment within close proximity of the HH5 or cabling. But most importantly nothing has changed between at my end since the speed drop.

The HH5 event log seems to show plus 1 - 1.5 db increase in the SNR Margin Down from 6 to 7.5 since the speed reduction.

I have tried a different modem and got the same slower connection results.

In summary nothing has changed regarding the equipment and environment within my property yet the attainable connection speed is consistently 46% slower than it has been since the service was first installed 6 months ago. Over the six months of service the modem has reconnected approximately once maybe twice a month.

Any thoughts suggestions or moderator help would be appreciated.

HH5 details included for reference:

HH5 Details.jpg

August speed drop.png

Full eventvent log avaliable on request.

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
mitreklov
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: 46% sync speed reduction following hub power cycle

Strange isn't it that when I posted on this forum to highlight a problem processing my order for the Infinity service installation back in February I had forum moderators all over it, now that BT have my order and revenue coming in there's not a moderator or any form assistance to be seen. 

Thanks a lot, I'll remember that when the contract is up for renewal.

Come on guys, please I really don't want to deal with our friends in foreign parts.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 20

It takes time for the mods to get round to people. At the moment they are busy over on the BTCloud forum. (Five weeks and counting.)

And they usually step in after there has been a b it of to and fro.

Any noise on the phone network?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

The mods only normally get involved if the community members cannot assist
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Hi @mitreklov and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry we haven't got back to you on this. I'll be happy to take a look at the connection for you. Can you please drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
mitreklov
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

David,

Thanks for picking this up I appriciate you guys are busy. I have used the Contact the Mods link in your profile and sent my details.

0 Ratings
mitreklov
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

New contact enquiry sent since I've had no response from the one I sent last week.

I now have a new incedent number.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 20

The mods will get back to you when your enquiry gets to the top of the stack. You said you appreciate they are busy so be patient.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

@pippincp wrote:

The mods will get back to you when your enquiry gets to the top of the stack. You said you appreciate they are busy so be patient.

Some time ago, a couple of years or more, I was advised that it is a bad idea to "nudge" the mods if you already have an inquiry in the works with them because that meant that you got knocked to the back of the queue. (Your message suddenly becomes "new".) Is that still the advice?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

@michaelkenward wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

Some time ago, a couple of years or more, I was advised that it is a bad idea to "nudge" the mods if you already have an inquiry in the works with them because that meant that you got knocked to the back of the queue. (Your message suddenly becomes "new".) Is that still the advice?

That's a very serious slur on the integrity of the mods.

0 Ratings