Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macnoggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

4G faster than wifi at home

Hi all,
Decided to check the speed of the 4G on my mobile & was gutted to find it faster than my home wifi both downloaded & upload.... come on BT let's see some speed increases.
4G download 35.8mbps, Home 28mbps
4G upload 18.5mbps, Home just 5mbps
I spent the xmas holidays down in Devon at the in laws who were getting just 3mps download on standard hub3 😞
poor BT poor
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: 4G faster than wifi at home

Was you expecting something different?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

You are comparing apples with oranges. 

Broadband speed is determined by your distance from the Cabinet if you are on Fibre Broadband or the distance from the exchange if you are on "normal" ADSL broadband. Your speeds are also affected by the condition of the copper cables which the signal travels along.

4G is basically a radio signal to a mast then fibre from the mast to the phone network which means that provided there is nothing blocking the radio signal it can travel in theory at 100Mbps. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Good luck getting unlimited downloads on your fatser 4G connection 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
macnoggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Yeah quicker at home

0 Ratings
macnoggs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

true
0 Ratings
marion
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Same here, 34 down and 10 up on 4G, 15 down and 0.7 up on bt fttc.

It wont get any better either when bt/openreach install gfast from the cab!! the fast will get faster and the slow (people far, i say far, im less than a mile from the cab will stay where they are!)

Its a backwards way of thinking gfast from the cab, they said the point of gfast was they were going to put pods on poles for people who were a bit further from the cab.

And no doubt line rental will increase again and again !!

The 4G packages are coming down and down now, BT 15GB for £15 , £90 amazon voucher £60 quidco. Virgin are doing 20GB for £15.

If one does 40-50 gb  for £20-£25 , my land line is going!!

Long reach VDSL and 3db profiles will help me when they come out next year. My downstream is stuck on 10db!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Don't bet on LRVDSL and 3db helping you out...
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

lol, yep, i can get downloads of 55+ on Fibre and 200+ on my 4G phone. Sadly, both technologies are different. Shame we can not have an unlimited 4G plan, would be good for those in the countryside where fibre is non existent.
CG Over An Out
0 Ratings