cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

4g mini hub speed throttling

For almost 3 weeks my FTTP broadband is down, so BT finally sent me 4g mini hub to keep me connected. I tried it and see that I get always steady 30/15(DL/UL) speeds during the day . Having put an EE sim in there (BT uses the same network) I get varied results but around 50/50 generally. In the late evenings speeds do improve to about 80/70 on both SIMs, so this makes me think that BT is doing throttling on their SIMs during the day (or EE is doing that for them). I did ask tech support if they do throttling and they said - no.

Has anyone experienced the same? Download is OK, but we barely survive on 15mbps upload speeds working from home full time as the whole family...

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: 4g mini hub speed throttling

Just guessing, but I suspect the 2 Sims use different backhaul networks with different levels of congestion/contention rather than deliberate throttling.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I did think  of that, but the BT speeds are too consistent to be congested. Sometime I can see bursts of 40-50 in the first couple of seconds and it always comes back to 30. Proper SQM type of throttling...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

BT Mobile speeds are capped at around 30mbps unless you have the speed boost bolt on and then it's uncapped. The bolt on is normally included in Halo packages if you're a BT Mobile customer

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

That would have explained it, but I run the test now and its 77/46 on BT SIM. Not sure when is the exact cut off time as the speed only goes up after a reconnect during off peak hours... I will chat to mobile helpdesk tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@NigelB72Do you have a link for that?

0 Ratings