Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
topleya
Contributor
Message 1 of 45

50Mbps on Fibre 2 - Since Late 2017

Hi,

I've been having slow speeds for a long while, but its never been slow enough to really annoy me enough to make the effort to correct.

I've been with BT since I moved into this property in 2015. Also been on the same plan and always got 72Mbps Down and 20Mbps Up, until around the end of 2017, when issues started. I assumed the issue was caused by a new housing development next to us and expected BT to eventually sort it out, but this hasn't happened.

During the time of 2015 (Joining) and Start of 2018, I had used the provided Home Hub 4, then Home Hub 5. I had the Hub 4 replaced with the Hub 5 as the H4 became faulty and wouldn't turn on. Then the Hub5 did the same thing and they replaced that. In the start of 2018 I replaced the Hub 5 with an ASUS DSL-AC68U as the second Hub 5 broke down after a powercut and I got fed up with the BT equipment.

During the last few months of the BT Hub5's life, my speeds reduced to 50Mbps down, so I can rule out the ASUS being the caused of the speed reduction.

I have included images below with all the information I can think is important here.

I don't have a functional HomeHub to provide any test from that, but as I said above, the speed issue were accuring before I moved to the ASUS router, so the router doesn't seem to be the cause.

Speedtest below was conducted while connected directly to the router via Ethernet, with WiFi turned off an nothing else connected. (Over WiFi and all other ethernet devices in property, I get the same speed results)

btwholesaletest.pngDSL Uptime is low as I changed the VDSL cable for a brand new one to rule out cable issues. Prior to this it was up for 30 days.DSL Uptime is low as I changed the VDSL cable for a brand new one to rule out cable issues. Prior to this it was up for 30 days.dsl_log_2.pngI have the one in the middle (plugged into the top connection with no filter on cable to router)I have the one in the middle (plugged into the top connection with no filter on cable to router)I used a custom DNS, setting this to auto make no difference to performanceI used a custom DNS, setting this to auto make no difference to performancesetting_2.pngDone on a Windows 10 PC, wired directly to the routerDone on a Windows 10 PC, wired directly to the router

0 Ratings
44 REPLIES 44
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 45

Re: 50Mbps on Fibre 2 - Since Late 2017

Your connection time is only 5 mins is this due to a manual restart, if so why?

It looks like you are on a banded profile. Is there any noise on your line? 17070 option 2.

topleya
Contributor
Message 3 of 45

I replaced all the cables before making the screenshot. Wanted to rule out a faulty cable.

Before this the uptime was 30 days

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 45

Noticed after I posted. Check for noise on your line. 17070 option 2.

0 Ratings
topleya
Contributor
Message 5 of 45

I can't provide an answer for that, I don't have a landline phone.
0 Ratings
topleya
Contributor
Message 6 of 45

if needed I could however run out and grab this

Going to grab a landline phone from Argos now, shall provide result in a hour.

0 Ratings
topleya
Contributor
Message 7 of 45

Quiet Line test completed, no noise on line at all, completely silent
0 Ratings
topleya
Contributor
Message 8 of 45

confirmed.png

Issue has been confirmed - Guess now my question would be; If this issue has been exisiting since 2017, how do I claim for it as I've been paying for upto 72Mbps not 55Mbps.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 45

did you renew your contract roughly about same time your speed dropped to 55mb?  what package does it show in MYBT?

I know you have 20mb up speed showing superfast 2 but it looks more like superfast 1 cap rather than a banded profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
topleya
Contributor
Message 10 of 45

Just double checked MYBT, its showing "Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited"

I checked my previous orders and I did upgrade to a new YouView box in November 2017, which is about when I noticed issues.

I didn't make any package changes, just ordered a better YouView box.
0 Ratings