Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Humphrey3000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

52Mbps performance recently dropped

Hi I wonder if someone can help please?

Since October 2017  when I signed up - and until 06 April 2018 I was getting a decent 11/12mS ping and >50Mbps download speeds (via wifi). The speed tests were extremely consistent which made me feel that the broadband setup with BT were both reasonable and reliable.

However, I started to notice differences in gaming performance in recent weeks which has not improved since.

Until 05 April I was getting 11-12mS ping and >50Mbps (and very consistent since installation in Oct 2017).

Between 06 April and 06 May I was getting 28mS ping and >50Mbps.

Then since 07 May I have been getting 25-28mS ping and now no more than 45Mbps.

So I ran a "BT Test My Broadband Speed"  which came up with a  consistent 45.xMbps (even after several power cycles and two resets as requested by both the speed test and subsequent chats online). Speedtest ping is 28mS.

I have no extension wiring and results are the same with or w/out a telphone connected to the NTE5C master socket.

The BT Speed tester reports the network, landline, and broadband checks are Ok, but "Our initial checks show that the connection between your hub and our network is slow" (????).

If I poceed "We can see there is a problem with your connection, but this could be fixed by doing some quick checks at your end".

If I proceed all I end up with is "We'll need you to get in touch. Because you have this socket we need to do some further checks to help you with your slow speed problem" (No mention of what "this socket" is btw). "The quickest way to get in touch is to chat to our advisors using our e-chat option below".

If I go on live chat they have no idea why I'm contacting them and despite explaining the above messages have got nowhere after three attempts.

Capture.PNG

technicalLog_information.png

Quiet line test is okay.

I could have sworn the download 49.00Mbps was higher in the past too,

So I ask does my broadband have a performance problem which can be fixed? I understood I was guaranteed at least 50Mbps - which I was getting for the first 6 months. Do I need an engineer out? As I say I don't have any telephone extensions so I'm not sure what I can do at this end.

Thanks for any advice - and sorry for the long-winded post!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: 52Mbps performance recently dropped

your connection time is very low at 1hr probably due to a manual reset  however I think your comment -  (even after several power cycles and two resets as requested by both the speed test and subsequent chats online) is probably the cause of the the 49mb connection speed being the result of a banded profile

the minimum speed quoted bt BT Retail is conenction speed not download speed as no ISP guarantees download speed

you need to try and maintain a stable conenction and the DLM should release the banding with speed returning to normal infinity1  this however can take weeks rather than days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Humphrey3000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your thoughts.

The hub power cycle & resets were carried out only when requested by BT, surely they wouldn't penalise me by profiling after following their instructions? In addition these actions were carried out after the drop in speed was noticed & verified. How many weeks should one wait as I think there is a danger of no further improvement and that significant time may be lost.

From my original order confirmation email (October 2017) :-

"How fast will it be?

We estimate your download speed will be between 54Mbps and 55Mbps, and your upload speed will be between 9Mbps and 10Mbps.

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 50Mbps."

So I'd like to resolve this -BT online checks said it passed all their tests BUT at the same time reported that "checks show that the connection speed between your hub and our network is slow" and "we can see there is a problem with your connection" (but haven't indicated what the problem is/might be).

I'm wondering if it is reasonable to request an engineer visit. What internal checks could I do to improve performance anyway? I have a Master socket with a seperate hub connection, no telephone (or any extension) connected.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

the resets which you were requested by BT and probably others by yourself can affect your conenction speed as the DLM is controlled by openreach and not your ISP BT Retail.  as I said I think all these resets have resulted in a banded profile which given a stable connection will release automatically but could take weeks rather than days

the forum mods cannot reset the DLM and at present you need a broadband engineer visit and a fault fixed before the engineer can request a DLM reset  you will not get a visit for a DLM reset alone

the speed quoted by BT are connection speeds not download/throughput speeds and although it says 'download speed and guaranteed speed' it is actually qualified in the notes/T&C that it is actual connection speed it is referring not download.  This has been covered on the forum before

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings