Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhindi_bhaji
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

76Mb being capped all of a sudden to 25.74Mb

Go to solution

Hi there,

Firstly let me say for the 3 years I've been with BT Infinity 2 I've never had any issues, it's been a very reliable and consistent connection, until now.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but our next door neighbour had BT come round and install a connection of some sort last week and since then I've been having interuptions and only getting approximately 1/3 of my usual speed.

After reading some posts on this forum I did a test and it seems like my connection is for an unknown reason being capped at 25.74Mb (see below screenshot).

Any help would be appreciated as I do download a fair bit.

speed test.jpg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: 76Mb being capped all of a sudden to 25.74Mb

Go to solution

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

Or post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

Do you have dial tone on your phone?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
bhindi_bhaji
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

You read my mind, I was just about to edit the first post with that info, I usually get Mb's from high 60's to low 70's.

speed test2.jpg

0 Ratings
bhindi_bhaji
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

I don't use the Home Hub, I have a TP-Link ADSL router which is running perfectly, here's some info from it:

speed test3.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

What about the phone line? A disconnection on one wire can cause a large speed drop, which is why you need to check for dial tone and any noise.

That would also be the reason for the high attenuation reading and low noise margin for that speed . It can happen when external wiring is disturbed.

0 Ratings
bhindi_bhaji
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I'll see if I can find a phone and post the results. I don't have one connected as I only use my mobile.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@bhindi_bhaji wrote:

I'll see if I can find a phone and post the results. I don't have one connected as I only use my mobile.

I would not be at all surprised if you do not get dial tone. If there is no dial tone, then it will be a disconnection between the fibre cabinet, and your master socket, probably on the distribution point where your neighbour was connected.

Report this as "no dial tone", there is no need to mention about the Infinity speed, as that will correct itself one the phone line has dial tone again.

Normal broadband and BT Infinty will work very poorly, with only one wire connected.

bhindi_bhaji
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

You're right no dial tone.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

It will be just fine once the line has been repaired.

Its actually worth occasionally checking for dial tone and any noise, as if the line quality degrades, it will affect your connection speed.