cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 35

900mb FTTP installation speed

Today I had an FTTP upgrade and went for the full 900mb deal or so I thought!

Although I am working away and not at home to see the installation and test my son in law sent me a screen shot of a speed test he did at 520mb. Now this is a huge difference compared to my previous 75mb but when the engineer said we wouldn't get any better than that I was not best pleased considering BT advertise the 900mb package as average speed and NOT up to speed. 

I would be interested to hear from anyone else with this as a typical speed on this package.

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35

Re: 900mb FTTP installation speed

Several customers have speed issues with Fibre900 and BT have blamed everything but the service itself. In some cases they’re right but not for all and you may find they’ll eventually fall back to “you’re getting above the minimum stay fast guarantee of 455.”

Have a read of the following to see a selection of issues and what some have done about them.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Fibre-900-speeds-all-over-the-place/td-p/2027787

Was it the BT Openreach engineer that said you’ll only get 520Mb to the ONT? 

I’d be giving the Fibre team a call, log a fault and go from there.

Note - If you’re doing any speed tests make sure it’s from a computer that is wired to the BT Smarthub, has a 1GB network card, turn wireless off on the Smarthub and use fast.com. 
I wouldn’t normally recommend fast.com but it’s the one you’ll be asked to use. You could also connect the computer directly to ONT by setting up a PPOE connection.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 35

Thanks for the info Forthay and sorry for the late reply as it went into junk🙄
Yes the installation engineer said 520 would be the best however its dropped since then using wifi. 
I will check out the info and try the speed tests as you recommend. 
many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 35

@Gweedo 

Hi mate, you know you will never achieve anywhere near 900mbps unless you have WiFi 6 and then you will be looking at around 600mbps if you are lucky.

Ethernet cable direct from you're PC / Laptop to the ONT and setup PPPoEE and see what you get. 🙂

Creating a PPPoE Dial Up Connection on Windows 10
Click the Start button.
Click the Control Panel.
Go to Network and Sharing Center.
Select Set up a new connection or network.
In the Set Up a Connection or Network wizard, choose Connect to the Internet and click Next.
Click Set up a new connection anyway.
Select Broadband (PPPoE).

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 35

Hi mate thanks for that info i will have a look. 
is wifi 6 a type of router? 
cheers

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 35

WiFi 6 is the top tier (apart from WiFi 6e) which isn't here yet.

You can get WiFi6 adapters for both PC and Laptop which you can upgrade quite easily but check you're machine to see it hasn't already got it first.

Of course you will need a WiFi 6 enabled third party router as the supplied SH2 is not WiFi 6 capable of yet.

Ethernet as I said is the way to check if 900mbps is getting to you're ONT to start with.

If not you need to call the customer support. 🙂

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 35

Thanks again mate. Sounds like BT are selling everyone a pup knowing 900 is not achievable with their router. 😞 

No one really uses cable anymore unless electronic devices and tv are next to the router. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 35

Hi mate im trying to follow your instructions for connecting with a dial up connection. 

You are already connected to the internet

-Setup a new connection anyway

-Create a new connection

I get broadband PPPoE or Dial-up

either one i select i have to enter info from my isp username and password. Not sure on this bit. Also do i then run a speed test once connected? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 35

@Gweedowrote:

Thanks again mate. Sounds like BT are selling everyone a pup knowing 900 is not achievable with their router.

Not all customers are affected and a fix is in place, estimated for October 2020 via a firmware fix that will be pushed out.

*Edit*

Source https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/07/isp-bt-working-to-fix-slow-fttp-broadband-speed-profil...

A BT Spokesperson told ISPreview.co.uk:

“We are aware of an FTTP speed profile issue on the Smart Hub 2 affecting a small number of customers and are urgently working to resolve the problem.”

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 35

PPPoE

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com 

Password: bt