cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 35

Re: 900mb FTTP installation speed

Unfortunately I’ve been down all those roads @pippincp  My problem happens even with a direct PPoE connection and ensuring it’s not the anti virus etc. All routers including UDM and UDMP had the latest firmware and nothing enabled to inhibit the speed.

Progress was being made with my speeds until the change in VLAN (too greedy to get to as close as the 910 as possible) and now back to square one (worse in some ways because the upload lost another 15% in the process) with no option to move back to the original VLAN or to another.

So I’m on Fibre500 speeds on a very good day at best.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 35

Then BTWholesale have a serious congestion problem. The Openreach backbone can supply the speeds. There's plenty of "dark fibre" available.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 35

@pippincp you could be right about the congestion, I don’t know. I was told I’m on an enhanced VLAN with about 12% utilisation.

BT themselves ran two tests yesterday - one in the morning it was ~280 and one in the evening ~600 and because the second is above 455 it proved according to them “everything is actually fine, it’s just the speed tester at fault that will be fixed in October and you’re getting the Fibre900 service you’re paying for”.

At this point we’re really not sure what to do. We’ve been told that all the technical options are pretty much exhausted and we can either live with it, regrade down or leave.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 35

Hi I would challenge that, the guarantee is minimum of 450 therefore you were below it with the first test. Have you spoken directly with the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787?

BT Full Fibre 900
0 Ratings
Message 25 of 35

@Barneyabz  I've been chatting on and off with the FTTP team  since May.2020.

It went right up to the wire but my problem may now be fixed, I'm just going to give it week to make sure.

Openreach engineer visited Monday to check light level (which was excellent) and all diagnostics came back OK. Reseting (not power cycling) the ONT made no difference. He could also see the poor speeds (~200) with his own equipment directly connected to the Smarthub with no other clients.

A decision was made by Openreach/BT to change the ONT even although no fault was detected and the FTTP team did a remote reset the Smarthub2 for good measure.

The speed levels immediately increased to ~700/110. An hour later and its the full service 1Gb/120 with 0ms unloaded and loaded latency using fast.com. This is repeating the same tests with the same equipment that have been done over the months but with the mesh network in place and ~50 clients in place too.

Download speeds do dip and latency increases to fast.com in the evening probably due to load/congestion somewhere, not necessarily down to BT.

It's difficult to say whether it was really a faulty ONT or not but my guess is changing the ONT had a knock on effect somewhere further on down the line.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 35

Sounds like it was faulty. Anyway glad it seems sorted. Mine gets installed this week, hope it goes OK!

BT Full Fibre 900
0 Ratings
Message 27 of 35

@Barneyabz I’m not convinced the ONT was faulty. It was fine with Fibre300 and Fibre500 but it’s always possible 😀

My suspicion is something in the registration process was the key.

The only way to test my theory would be for Openreach to de-register an existing problematic Fibre900 service and re-register it as if it were a new service.

Are you regrading an existing FTTP service to Fibre900 or jumping on the FTTP train anew?

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 35

New to BT, moving from another provider on FTTC, so completely new installation and first time on FTTP.

BT Full Fibre 900
0 Ratings
Message 29 of 35

@Barneyabz I’m sure it will all go smoothly and if it doesn’t everyone on the forums will chip in to help as well as the FTTP team. Even although it went to the wire mines did come good.

Plan ahead like where you want the cables run and location of ONT.

Now mines is working I wouldn’t look back.

Message 30 of 35

Good advice, thanks. Looking forward to it.

BT Full Fibre 900
0 Ratings