cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 27

Re: 900mpbs new setup dissapointed

I looked at that but couldnt see how to turn it off? 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

Oops just saw your link, will try that when i get home see if it makes a difference. 

Message 13 of 27

I would recommend the TL-R605 as a stand alone Gigabit WAN router. Its cheaper than a router with built in wifi, simple to setup and seems to have plenty of performance. Then you can use a decent quality wifi mesh system of your choice.

I actually use the BT mini disks as they were cheap and worth a try. I have been pleasantly surprised by their speed and the seamless handover as I move about the house with my Laptop, but, I do have each disk hardwired. The none Premium white disks would probably be a good match otherwise.

Of course, I still have a copper landline. When PSTN is switched off, it will be interesting to see if I am forced back to using the Smarthub, give up using a landline, or if there is an alternative at the time.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 27

@Gary_C  FTTC will continue after the PSTN switches off. The copper line will remain as the service is supplied from the cab, not the exchange.

For phone services, you would only have to go back to the smart hub if you went with BT Digital Voice you could go with any VoIP provider and continue to use the TP-Link.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 27

There is no smart setup to turn off on this new smart hub 2, in wireless settings it says smart 1 etc but there is no section in any tab thats says turn on or off, i can in wireless change the channel tonone that doesnt have smart next to it, but definitely no section with a smart setup on or off, ive gone through the lonk provided and its jot shown like the linked page. 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 27

Check it on your laptop/desktop pc not on your phone. In the mobile view of the smart hub interface Smart Setup doesn't show up. On the desktop view it's right on the first page as you log in to your hub.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

Before buying any new equipment try some basic troubleshooting. 

1. Disable Wi-Fi from the Smart Hub 2 management interface 

2. Disconnect your Power line adapters

3. Disconnect every wired device, including and separate external hubs, switches or routers you may have.

4. Disable WiFi from a modern laptop that you might own

5. Connect your laptop via an ethernet cable directly to your smart hub 2.

5. Run a speed test from www.speedtest.net

If the results are still low, then speak with BT support.  If you can obtain a decent speed from speedtest.net, then your problem lies with your equipment.

Test WiFi performance by re-enabling WiFi, and use you most modern device, preferably one that can connect at 5Ghz rather than 2.4Ghz.  Run speedtest.net again from that device.

You'll expect to see a drop as WiFi performance is always weaker than a wired connection.

Gradually add the rest of your WiFi enabled devices. 

When it comes to Powerline connected devices, you are dependent on the quality of your home wiring, and an Openreach engineer did say to me 4 weeks ago that they'd seen issues with some types of Powerline adapters that were connected to the Smart hub 2 on FTTP and FTTC services, when he came round to check my FTTC issues.  Mine were not connected as I no longer use them. 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 27

@pippincpI am aware FTTC comes from the cabinet though I have FTTP. However my point was regarding the copper landline (which I kept for now with my FTTP install last month), my understanding is the copper landline function will be redundant when PSTN is switched off.
I know BT now allow FTTP without a landline, but transporting the number to another VOIP provider at the moment seems prohibitively difficult.
But in 2025 I will see what is possible.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 27

@Kingo63wrote:

There is no smart setup to turn off on this new smart hub 2, in wireless settings it says smart 1 etc but there is no section in any tab thats says turn on or off, i can in wireless change the channel tonone that doesnt have smart next to it, but definitely no section with a smart setup on or off, ive gone through the lonk provided and its jot shown like the linked page. 

??????????????????

Are you looking in the right place?

SmartSetup.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 27

Turned it off no difference at all, so looking at the tp link archer ax6000 £230, tp link archer ax90 £245 and asus ax88u which is practically 300 quid so not sure its worth the extra money other than i have always preferred Asus to any other vendor, just think they have always worked with no problems. What would you more knowledgeable guys buy? Want something future proof wifi 6 due a ohine upgrade plus my sons new laptop is wifi 6 and my other is getting another gaming laptop thats also wifi 6

0 Ratings