cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

92 days install delay

I am using this forum to log the systemic ineptitude of BT, it's failure to understand any customer issues, communicate with other internal departments, take responsibility for actions, and use intuition to solve very simple problems. This is compounded by long wait times on the phone, countless promises to call back that never materialise, and poor advice on the next steps. 

Context: we live in a new build property, and we need a line to run from our house to the box on the road. Order placed May 18th. Fair enough - Covid-19 meant engineers could not install a box into the house until June 1st. Order is opened for a dig team to connect the line. June 2nd we receive activation email but of course, no signal because there is no line. I phone BT twice, they are confident we have signal and working internet. 

Constant calls and briefs to various BT employees end up with 3 more engineers (one a week for 3 weeks) coming to solve problem, none of which are trained to solve our issue. All go away empty handed. Engineer Count = 4.

Meanwhile there is no update from the dig team on progress for digging a line to the box. 

All goes quiet, dig team arrives (x4 staff), concludes that they are from the FAULTS team and this is not a FAULTS issue, so leave empty handed. Engineer count = 8.

Because to them it is not a "FAULTS" issue, but instead a "CONNECTION" issue, we are advised that we need to close our account, start again, and bring out an engineer trained on connections of new services. We close and reopen our account along with re-inputting all details (this took 3 hours on the phone), and of course, an automatic engineer is sent out for set up. Engineer count = 9.

Engineer again says we are connected but we tell him there is no line. He calls manager, who comes to property, and transfers the case to a dig team and they would be in touch in the coming weeks. We are told "when you hear digging in the road this is when you will be connected". Engineer count = 10.

2 more confused engineers come to connect us up, without the skills to, and of course leave empty handed. Engineer count = 12. BT concludes this may be an issue with the copper line, rather than fibre, so sends out 2 more engineers a week later. Engineer count = 14.

92 days later, we have 8 open orders on our account, 51 actions, all with completed status. We have no line and no contact from BT as to when we will be up and running. We have also been sent 5 separate BT Home Hubs, all of course, left in the packaging waiting to be returned because we received one in the first place! 

Each and every time, a phone call is made to BT, who coordinate Openreach with the wrong action. BT are at fault and not Openreach (I understand the division between the two companies) 

Communication is lacklustre - we rarely get texts, there are two numbers on our account, and it varies which number we are contacted on. Every single time I get in contact with BT I explain the above to a new service assistant. 

There are no excuses. This is not to do with delays brought on by Covid, 14 engineer visits prove this. There is no end in sight for us, and this post will not help us get further but may incentivise new customers to avoid the abhorrent, bloated mess that this company has become that has caused endless stress, anxiety, confusion and disappointment. Yes, we work from home 5 days a week, and have done throughout this, on a mix of 4G tethered phones and a patchy BT 4G Mini Hub.

Don't even get us started on compensation. Every so often we receive a text with the odd £25 or £30 credit put into our account, which is quickly then wittled away by "install costs" (£9.99) and "equipment delivery" (£7.99), with random costs of just under £1 being charged to us. 

... any help? 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: 92 days install delay

I'm fearing having to suffer this with my new build house as well. I'm on order 2 so far.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

@wf00116

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. When dig work is required it's normally a nightmare.

Are you getting fttp or fttc connected? 

SP

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

I have FTTP fitted in the house. Last week saw the guys building the estate putting on my street a massive cable and when it was covered the cement "lid" did say BT, hoping this means the street is now connected 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Is this a Self Build or is it part of a Development?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Sounds like it might be a development. But I wouldn't fall for the whole "speak with developers". I spoke to mine and they quite clearly told me, they had never had any issues with other neighbors. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

If it is a Development then the House Builder should’ve made all the necessary arrangements with Openreach for the Network Build to be done. Either they can arrange/pay for Openreach to do it or they can build it themselves, which Openreach pay them for.

The Developer will have a New Sites Contact at Openreach they can speak to.

Always find it odd Developers/Builders allow people to buy/move into New Builds before construction of all the Utilities and Services are completed.

I’m also a be perplexed as to why Openreach have put in Copper and FTTP on a New Site. Really it should just be FTTP and Voice Services Delivered by either FVA or VOiP. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Totally agree with you.

Premier service !   they are a joke of a company ....

My service was a basic switch over with no dig work required and they have failed on activation 3 times and failed to ring me on three agreed dates !

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/delayed-fibre-activation/td-p/2077050

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Hi @wf00116 and welcome.

I'm really sorry there has been such a mess made of your order. Can you just confirm as per @SpiderPig post is this for FTTC or FTTP?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Hi @DavidM , @SpiderPig 

Whilst not certain I believe it's FTTC because engineers are working to connect to the box on the street. Can you advise on what difference this makes?

To others - thank you for sharing my frustration. The complication here is that cables are laid to the property, and I have a box installed in the house (to do this they needed to pull a wire from by the front door). So whilst they reach the property they are not connected to the box and therefore break somewhere between the two. Madness!

0 Ratings