Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wilo
Beginner
Message 11 of 25

Re: 97% Packet Loss Since This Morning

Go to solution

I live in Bishopthorpe too and have had the same problem since I came home from work. It was fine this morning but now just won't access anything. HH5 light is blue and all my devices associate with it but non of them can access anything and just time out. Had a surreal 45 min conversation with BT in which they continually told me everything was OK and that all my devices were the problem (2 X iPads, 2 X iPhones, android tablet and phone, laptop). All of a sudden they decided there may be some issues in the area, that I should keep monitoring the situation, it will be ok tomorrow but if it's not someone will call me back on Thursday at 4pm - crazily bad support and customer service.

kebian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 25

Go to solution

Wow thanks for that, Wilo.  At least I'm not alone!

I also had a surreal conversation with someone via online chat who did exactly the same thing - he blamed all my devices, despite me only having a BT Home Hub 5 and a laptop connected by ethernet (and I switched the laptop out too).  I wasn't impressed and I posted the chat logs here but they've since been removed by a moderator as they contained personal info.

It must be because the light is blue and therefore it's down as "connected" because technically it is - I have a 60Mbps / 18Mbps sync speed but with such high packet loss, it doesn't matter because it's useless!  Is your "b" broadband icon lit up on the router as well as that ambient light?  Mine isn't...

I finally managed to speak to someone on the phone about it and he said there was a fault on the PSTN line.  I tried to grill him on it and he said it definitely wasn't a problem in the cabinet or at the exchange and insisted it was the line but wouldn't / couldn't say why.  I currently have an engineer due to visit on Wednesday morning.

0 Ratings
Wilo
Beginner
Message 13 of 25

Go to solution

Hi there, I just have the usual blue light on, no b lit up in any colour! Have a spare HH5 which I've plugged in and that does exactly the same thing... definitely a problem with something on the line/in the area.

0 Ratings
kebian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

I tried my old HH3 as well with no luck.  I wasn't sure about the "b" light - My HH5 is in a cupboard so I only ever go to look at it if there's something wrong! lol

0 Ratings
Wilo
Beginner
Message 15 of 25

Go to solution
Unsurprisingly still the same this morning, randomly just had a text from a child minder we use in the village saying she couldn't send the bills out today as usual as she couldn't get her Internet to work!!
0 Ratings
kebian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 25

Go to solution

No change here either.  It's clearly an area-wide problem and it bothers me that they don't seem to be aware of it.  I wonder if we're all connected to the same green box.  I know I'm connected to the one where Church Lane meets Sim Balk Lane.

0 Ratings
kebian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution

So I called BT again to try and get this prioritised since it's not just affecting me and I ended up speaking to a jobsworth. The first thing he did was cancel my engineer's appointment. He then went through all the tedious, boring and irrelevant procedures I endured yesterday. Resetting the hub, trying all the ports, resetting my computer etc. I was very, very patient and humoured his requests.

He was unable to deviate from the beaurocratic path set before him. The instructions appeared on his screen, one after the other and we soldiered through them all. He was very thorough. Then he'd disappear for 5 minutes at a time to get his next instruction from his ridiculous supervisor. Presumably the supervisor is some sort of mad parrot in a silly hat that randomly shouts words like "cookies" and "restart".

They obviously do not have even the vaguest amount of technical knowledge.

The last instruction was to try to web to www.bt.com from my "device". So I patiently explained that it didn't work. Then I tried to explain why it didn't work and how DNS operates and how because I didn't have Internet access, the computer can't query the name servers to resolve "www.bt.com" to an actual IP address but that was an alien language. He disappeared again for the next crazy word from the parrot and returned to ask me to "clear the cookies". Wow. And this is after an hour an a half on the telephone...

They also erroniously have me listed as having a Homehub 3, when I have a Homehub 5. I used to have a HH3 at my old address but they upgraded it when I moved. Fascinating that they can't pull the basic diagnostics from my router to tell what Homehub it is and no amount of rebooting a different device will help there! I may as well turn the fridge off and on again to see if it makes a difference.

Now his supervisor wants to send me a brand new HH3, which will of course not make the slightest bit of difference since I've already tried changing the router out. Not only that but changing my Homehub won't fix the problem for other people in the area even if for some illogical reason it could fix mine.

I have requested to speak to the parrot but he's suddenly gone on his break but should call me within 2 hours.

I have never encountered such incompetetance from a supposed technical team before. It really is outrageous and I will be looking for a different ISP as a matter of priority because I can't stop working for a week at a time if something goes wrong with my Internet. These guys have no idea how the Internet works, what routing is, what IP packets are or anything. No idea at all. All they can do is follow on-screen instructions and ask what colour lights are on. It's crazy. If they'd just do a basic traceroute to my router, they'd see the huge amount of packet loss over their own equipment.

So to summarize...

I had...

• No Internet access (97% packet loss)
  • An engineer booked for tomorrow but I don't think it was an Openreach engineer.

I now have...

• To wait 7 days for an old router I don't need
  • No Internet access (100% packet loss)
  • No engineer coming

Oh I also spoke to someone online who said that everyone with the problem would need to contact them to complain before they'd investigate it as an area fault.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

if you have sent the email to mods then they will get back to you and try and help  just it can take 3/5 working days sometimes sooner as you are in a queue of others waiting for mod help all of whom consider their problem a priority

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kebian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 25

Go to solution

Yes it's a shame that Indian call centre exists at all.  It only serves to enrage.  I sent the email to the mods so hopefully they'll be in touch soon.

I turned off the router for almost an hour (also did this yesterday) and I've reconnected and am now showing 66% packet loss, which is an improvement.  Hopefully someobody is working on something somewhere.

Host                                   Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. diesel.code-x.co                     0.0%   108    0.3   0.2   0.2   0.4   0.1
 2. 192.168.5.3                          0.0%   108    1.0   1.2   1.0   9.9   0.8
 3. ???
 4. 31.55.185.177                       66.0%   107   11.0  10.5  10.0  11.3   0.3
 5. 31.55.185.176                        0.0%   107   10.6  10.9  10.1  14.3   0.6
 6. 195.99.127.142                       0.0%   107   11.0  11.0  10.3  12.9   0.4
 7. 195.99.127.8                         0.0%   107   10.8  11.0  10.4  14.4   0.6
 8. 195.99.127.21                        0.0%   107   11.1  11.4  10.8  14.8   0.6
 9. linx-1.router.demon.net              0.0%   107   11.0  14.8  10.7  76.8  10.6
10. park-core-2-g7-0-1.router.demon.net  0.0%   107   11.7  12.3  11.5  53.0   4.0
11. lon1-service-1-s253.router.demon.ne  0.0%   107   13.2  13.4  11.4  32.9   3.6
12. ns0.demon.co.uk                      0.0%   107   15.0  13.5  11.7  29.5   2.5
Spoiler
1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ43457531
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 07/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:42:20
6. Data rate:18622 / 61195
7. Maximum data rate:18642 / 61170
8. Noise margin:6.0 / 6.6
9. Line attenuation:18.3 / 17.1
10. Signal attenuation:18.2 / 17.1
11. Data sent/received:0.8 MB / 2.6 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:No
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-FPF5
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-FPF5
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:c8:91:f9:66:1c:dc
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0

0 Ratings
Wilo
Beginner
Message 20 of 25

Go to solution
Sounds like the same conversation I had last night which went through switching everything on and off, trying different devices etc at one point I had 2 iPads, an iPhone, android tablet and a Windows laptop all on the go all of which picked up the picked up the router and associated to it but couldn't access anything - I had to laugh when after the 5 min delay to speak to her supervisor the answer was to try downloading Google Chromecast to access the Internet, when I pointed out that if I could get online to download stuff I wouldn't be on the phone to them in the first place the line just went dead again for a few minutes and then when she came back on just started straight into a new 'solution' to switch it on and off as if we'd never spoken before!! Bizarre
Anyway this morning I changed the ADSL filter, unplugged everything, switched the router off for 5 mins and at 10am got back online... Not sure if it was a coincidence or if there's actually been some work done somewhere
0 Ratings