Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kebian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 25

Re: 97% Packet Loss Since This Morning

Go to solution

I think some work has definitely been done somewhere because I'm also online after powering off for a while.  I can actually use the Internet now, which is great, but my traceroute is showing some packet loss on one of the routers and the ping times are slow and vary in response time by quite a lot.  I suspect I'll have issues with gaming later on this evening when I fire up Planetside 2.

I would try turning the router off again but I'm afraid I'll end up at step one again!

Seriously they'd be better off without that call centre unless the objective is to enrage customers.  Needless to say the parrot did not call back as promised.

0 Ratings
kebian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 25

Go to solution

My Internet is still up.  I'm still seeing the following packet loss on a node, but as the next hop has 0% then I have to assume that it's due to ICMP rate limiting on that node, rather than actual packet loss.

The Indian support team still think that swapping my router out will solve the problems for the whole village. They're so incompetant it's embarassing and I'm going to switch provider.  Although the downtime was only actually a day, the frustration caused by the Indian call centre and the apparent lack of help available was a terrible experience.  I spent 2 hours on the phone with them.  I think that behind the scenes some actual techies knew there was a problem and fixed it within 24 hours (which isn't bad) but at the time I didn't even have the reassurance that the issue was being looked at, and even now there is still no acknowledgement that there was an issue.

Additionally the BT web site kept erroring, they don't seem to know what router they installed, they had the start date of my contract entered incorrectly, and the web site still shows my order as "in progress", despite being completed in January.  I have no confidence.

/endrant

Packets               Pings
 Host                                        Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. diesel.code-x.co                          0.0%   234    0.2   0.2   0.2   0.4   0.1
 2. 192.168.5.3                               0.0%   234    1.0   1.1   0.9   4.7   0.4
 3. ???
 4. 31.55.185.181                            68.2%   233   10.4  10.7  10.3  12.5   0.3
 5. 31.55.185.180                             0.0%   233   11.0  11.1  10.5  16.2   0.6
 6. 195.99.127.128                            0.0%   233   11.1  10.9  10.4  12.5   0.3
 7. 195.99.127.21                             0.0%   233   11.3  11.6  11.0  15.0   0.6
 8. linx-1.router.demon.net                   0.0%   233   10.8  13.0  10.4  78.2   8.8
 9. park-core-2-g7-0-1.router.demon.net       0.0%   233   12.1  12.2  11.7  14.9   0.4
10. lon1-service-1-s253.router.demon.net      0.0%   233   17.1  16.9  11.9  35.0   5.4
11. ns0.demon.co.uk                           0.0%   233   15.3  19.0  12.4 413.8  26.6

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 23 of 25

Go to solution

@kebian wrote:

I think some work has definitely been done somewhere because I'm also online after powering off for a while.  I can actually use the Internet now, which is great, but my traceroute is showing some packet loss on one of the routers and the ping times are slow and vary in response time by quite a lot.  I suspect I'll have issues with gaming later on this evening when I fire up Planetside 2.

I would try turning the router off again but I'm afraid I'll end up at step one again!

Seriously they'd be better off without that call centre unless the objective is to enrage customers.  Needless to say the parrot did not call back as promised.

Hi there,

I realise that this thread is marked as "solved", but have you tried using thinkbroadband's Broadband Quality Monitor on your line, so that you can measure latency and bandwidth usage over the lifetime of your connection?

Here's my graph

I hope this info is useful 🙂

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 24 of 25

Go to solution

@Rottie wrote:

@kebian wrote:

Hi there,

I realise that this thread is marked as "solved", but have you tried using thinkbroadband's Broadband Quality Monitor on your line, so that you can measure latency and bandwidth usage over the lifetime of your connection?

Here's my graph

The thinkbroadband quality monitor does not measure bandwidth, just latency and packet loss. It is a good diagnostic tool though.

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 25 of 25

Go to solution

@pippincp wrote:

@Rottie wrote:

@kebian wrote:

Hi there,

Here's my graph

The thinkbroadband quality monitor does not measure bandwidth, just latency and packet loss. It is a good diagnostic tool though.

My apologies; I stand corrected. 🙂

0 Ratings