cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 28

Re: A Few FTTP ONT Queries

This is true, and in comparison, copper is a doddle to cut, sadly most bad guys use cutters not bullets. Sorry to harp on this but my neighbour(s) have had their fibre cut previously for reasons that could only be described as 'Broadband Envy', so I do understand the concern, reasoning and planning of the OP.

Message 12 of 28

OK.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 28

Hmm... kevlar.

I've got a couple of lengths of OF in my garage, one is 8 core, the other is 12 core, both multi-mode.  They are what's left over from me me installing fibre in strategic places around the home, outbuildings and a good sized garden.  MM was chosen because nothing is over 500m and it's faster than single mode. The network comms between house and workshop has been on fibre for over two years.  It's a pity it is currently sitting at the end of 16Mb FTTC.

All joints were done and transceivers supplied by a good friend who installs all this stuff for a living, using a rather expensive (milti £k) cleaver and fusion splicer. The integrity was then tested with his even more expensive box of tricks that looks for sub-par joints.  I have my terminations at each end in 19" racks, also there I have 16/24 port L2 switches with fibre ports for the interconnections.  The cable itself is proper, exposed, industrial grade stuff, way more substantial that the lightly protected stuff that BT blows through ducts. 

Despite the expensive tools and top shelf cable, I didn't have a problem cutting through it with my cable pliers, kevlar and all.  Don't forget the fairy hair that you'll find inside the CSP box - bend it twice over your finger and it's bust for good. 

I think I'd prefer no external visibility if I can achieve it.  I'm glad that Converse 420 appreciates where I'm coming from, if the forum allowed emojis you'd be three thumbs up and a pint.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 28

👍👍👍🍺

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 28

👍👍👍🍺

Cheers. 😁

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 28

The Kevlar, or yarn as Openreach call it after they were warned by ‘Kevlar’ to not to as it’s a Brand Name isn’t there to prevent the Fibre being cut either intentionally or accidentally. It makes cutting it more difficult with ordinary wire cutters but a good pair of Electricians Scissors will cut through it easily.

It’s only used in Connectorised Fibre as well as the EZ Bend Fibre Cable is more to protect it against it being bent and or damaged by a hammer blow when the Engineers cleating it against a wall.

If someone’s hell bent on breaking into your home chances are they’re getting in, security camera or no security camera.

I know someone who has every inch of his house/garden covered by CCTV, hasn’t stopped his VW Camper Van from being stolen twice and they never even bothered to disable to cameras, why when a balaclava easily hides your face. He was lucky the first time as the police found it and it was returned, the second time he wasn’t so lucky.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 28

Most recent fibre engineer for me stated the Kevlar(sic) in the easy bend was to allow the fibre to be pushed in some circumstances rather than pulled. Nevertheless, the fragility of the fibre data core is quite an eye opener when viewed at the CSP after a fusion splice! As a further comment, it looked like the Kevlar was not wrapping the fibre, but in one/two separate parallel cores, separately sleeved, that were quickly dispatched by the engineer  before splicing (happy to be fact checked on this).

Anyhoo, Full Fibre is brilliant, but it does seem more fragile, although no one will be digging it up or ripping it out anytime soon for a quick buck (like copper)!

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 28

Back in the day Fibre was extremely fragile and you daren’t breath on it in fear of breaking it.

The newer stuff though, especially the Fibre used in Connectorised is a lot stronger and can be bent and twisted a lot more. That’s why Openreach can now get away with using those cheap Swift Splicers that only have one motor as opposed to the high end Sumitomo ones that they still have to use on the Spine and Core Network.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 28

I know nothing about splicers but this is what the chap did ours with.👍

splicer.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 28

I kind of hope that's a salt shaker on the left and he was rustling up Margaritas!

0 Ratings