cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 28

Re: A Few FTTP ONT Queries

@converse420 

I kind of hope that's a salt shaker on the left and he was rustling up Margaritas!

___________________________________________________________________________________

That was the vinegar bottle for the Fish n Chips mate..🤣

On a serious note that bottle had the cleaning solution in and he used it on every join he did. 👍

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 22 of 28

That’s a Sumitomo Fusion Splicer, they’re the good ones. 

Openreach and BT still use them on the Spine and Core Network but for EU Installations they now use a cheaper one.

What looks like a salt shaker will be alcohol cleaner for the Fibre Cable. 

Message 23 of 28

Yes I stood and watched them and obviously kept them both in tea and biscuits when they were here.

Surprising how they take to you when the refreshments are served. 😁

Another picture with the lid up.👍

splicer-inside.jpg 

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 28

I don't think Openreach are issuing these badboys to all engineers (or so I've heard), I think there is generally a lot of trust that the latest cleavers will be sufficient for a mechanical connection (again , happy to be fact checked)

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 28

@converse420  Did you not read @Starwire  's post? If anyone knows he does.

Message 26 of 28

I don't see much point in debating the merits or otherwise of security cameras.  We've all heard good and bad stories about them.  That's even without the distinction between having something from Maplins that John Logie Baird would think is rubbish, versus some of the high end stuff that can see a fox on my back garden in total darkness or can read number plates half way up the cul-de-sac.  Ever seen the output from an HD+ pinhole camera in a domestic PIR?

Nevertheless, the weakest link in any chain is the one you can see outside the house at ground level and disable with the edge of something blunt after you've pulled off the plastic capping. 

Even in the worst case you'd be amazed how much more interested the police are in any form of crime if they have hi-res images available. At least, that's what my mate found out when someone levered down the door  of his van like a can opener to steal his tools.  Good job he had a van vault inside.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 28

The new Swift Splicers Installation Engineers use have a Heat Stripper and Cleaver built into the Splicer itself.

They’re OK but as I mentioned only have one Motor and aren’t designed for constant use. Certainly couldn’t use it if you’re a Fibre Jointer. They literally are just designed for someone who only Splices a few times a day, which is the average amount of Installation Jobs an Engineer will get done given how time consuming they are.

A good quality Sumitomo Splicer Retail would set you back 5 or 6 grand whereas the Swift ones only cost about £700 give or take.

I’ll get you a picture of the Swift one later. I’ll have to sign in on my Laptop as I’m not sure if you upload photos from your phone here.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 28

47B46C14-CE99-44F6-BF40-4822DE369D49.jpeg

59B23657-13E6-40C9-BA50-922526E615C7.jpeg

6F7245BD-E337-4F3B-8528-ED87DB4305E5.jpeg

Here we go. This is the Swift Splicer. The top part with the two lids open are the Fibre Stripper and the third photo is the built in Cleaver.

0 Ratings