cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

A bit confused about Fibre 1

Go to solution

Hello,

My broadband (slow, old, copper) contract has come up for renewal, and the best offer seems to be to take the plunge and upgrade to Fibre. I'm nervous of this because it involves new hardware and maybe an engineer visit.

Fibre 1 seems right for me. I have an old Home Hub 3, that I understand would need an Openreach modem to be able to get fibre, thus an engineer visit. I think I'm also right in saying that the newer hubs do not need an Openreach modem, and that I could in theory get going with no engineer visit if I had a newer hub.

My question is: do existing BT broadband customers get the newest hub when they upgrade from copper to fibre, or would I be looking at engineer visit and a modem being put somewhere, or having to buy equipment myself? I couldn't seem to find confirmation of this, and found a lot of out of date self-installation information that mentioned the modem.

I am pretty sure BT will try to send any new hardware to my old address from 5 years ago. My address is fine on their system - it shows correctly on my bill and I get BT mailings here - but new hardware seems to want to pluck out a very old address. Again, this causes me to pause on the renewal upgrade, but I would end up paying £10 more to keep my old, slow, copper internet, instead of upgrading to Fibre 1.

Thank you for any advice.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: A bit confused about Fibre 1

Go to solution

You will just be sent a later model Home Hub suitable for fibre. No engineer visit or modem necessary.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: A bit confused about Fibre 1

Go to solution
Thank you, that's reassuring.
0 Ratings