cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

A few questions regarding FTTP ONT and its placement.

Go to solution

Hi there, back in July 2020, my town was confirmed to be in the Openreach FTTP build, so whenever it's made available here, I will get that upgrade immediately.

Now! My questions in regards to the ONT are as follows...

1: The master socket is in the hallway by the front door, however this is not an ideal location as my computer is upstairs in my bedroom (and my bedroom faces the backgarden), so I was wondering... can the ONT be placed in my bedroom even though it's facing the back garden? There is no 'phone socket' in my room, but I have plenty of free plug sockets thanks to plug strips allowing up to 6.

2: How many free plug sockets is needed for the ONT? Is it two? One for the ONT and the other for the router?

I use a 50ft Ethernet cable along the walls to get a wired connection to my gaming desktop but the WiFi in my room is atrocious, so I can't really play games on my Nintendo Switch so I'd rather have the ONT and router in my room. Is it doable?

Many thanks~

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: A few questions regarding FTTP ONT and its placement.

Go to solution

First you can forget where the master socket is, it has no function with FTTP.

Second discuss with the install engineer the placement of the ONT. They normally will place it anywhere you want.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks! Do you know how many available plug sockets I'll need?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

1 for ONT and 1 for router but the ONT and hub don't have to be co-located they can be connected together by up to 100m of Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
So I need two, thanks so much, mate. I appreciate it! I'd rather not continue having Ethernet cables running along the wall, if it means I can remove it from the wall and have my ONT and router in my room. : )

I'll keep this in mind whenever Openreach wants to actually bring FTTP to my town! Two plugs... and I can have it in my room... I won't forget.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Don't get too excited, you might be able to have the ONT in your room, it will depend on the engineer and the feasibility on the day

0 Ratings