Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

A question about Noise Margin

Go to solution

Please could somebody help educate me about Noise Margin.

First of all, I should say that I don't appear to have any issues with my internet connection - in fact, other than rare power cuts I've never noticed its stopped working in four years with BT... and I'm online a lot.

As you can see in the image my connection is good and I get a steady 68-71Mbps on my various devices around the house.

What I'm intrigued about is why my Noise Margin appears to be so high when compared to most others who have posted their connection details on here. They seem to show figures less than half mine.

As I say, I'm not looking to fix a problem, just interested in what it all means.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2019-02-21 at 07.54.12.png

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: A question about Noise Margin

Go to solution

Because your line is capable of a faster connection, but your speed is limited by the package you are on, there is a lot of spare bandwidth available, so the noise margin is high.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
It is because your line is capable of higher speeds than the super fast2 cap of 80/20 you are getting the maximum speed but there is a lot of headroom hence a higher noise margin
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe and @licquorice Thank you both for the explanation.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@Paul_31 wrote:

Please could somebody help educate me about Noise Margin.

First of all, I should say that I don't appear to have any issues with my internet connection - in fact, other than rare power cuts I've never noticed its stopped working in four years with BT... and I'm online a lot.

As you can see in the image my connection is good and I get a steady 68-71Mbps on my various devices around the house.

What I'm intrigued about is why my Noise Margin appears to be so high when compared to most others who have posted their connection details on here. They seem to show figures less than half mine.

As I say, I'm not looking to fix a problem, just interested in what it all means.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2019-02-21 at 07.54.12.png

Hi @Paul_31

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

The guys on here are spot on.  The potential for your line is unreal.  Probably the best I have seen for potential.  I use to live a "stone's throw" away from the fibre cabinet at my previous address and my potential was nowhere near that.  Your local fibre cabinet isn't in your back garden by any chance? Smiley LOL

Due to your line having so much potential, the noise margin is higher to align your speed to the fibre product you're on (80/20)

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
If g.fast arrives in the area you’ll be getting full speeds for that I’d imagine too.
0 Ratings
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I live in a smallish village about three miles from Beccles in rural Suffolk and am roughly 500 metres from the cabinet so I’m obviously doing well to get the reliable speeds I’m getting. G.fast would be nice, but I imagine more built up areas are likely to get upgraded long before my area.

I don’t suppose Openreach publish any data to the public about future plans? No, I thought not Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

If you are 500 metres from the cabinet, there must be some mighty heavy gauge cables in your village. You would normally only see the sort of speeds that you are seeing if the cabinet was about 10 metres from your house.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Although I’m 500 metres away there are very few houses between mine and the cabinet (perhaps 6 or 7), also my house was new when I moved in - although no fibre to the premises. Would any of that have a beneficial effect?

Anyway, I’m obviously pleased with the speeds I’m getting whatever the reason Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

No, none at all, it will be due to the quality and gauge of the copper. At 500 metres you would normally only be getting around 40-50Mbps