Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 11 of 12

Re: A question about Noise Margin

Go to solution

@Paul_31 wrote:

Although I’m 500 metres away there are very few houses between mine and the cabinet (perhaps 6 or 7), also my house was new when I moved in - although no fibre to the premises. Would any of that have a beneficial effect?

Anyway, I’m obviously pleased with the speeds I’m getting whatever the reason Smiley Happy

No, as @licquorice mentioned its the guage of the cable and the length. VDSL signals drop off over shorter lengths than ADSL but a thicker guage cable would carry a signal further as it has les "built in" resistance.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway, just be assured you have a good  connection.

0 Ratings
trapdoor
Expert
Message 12 of 12

Re: A question about Noise Margin

Go to solution

A similar story for me, high noise margin and a cabinet sync speed of 110/35. AIUI there is no prospect of us going G.Fast as we are the wrong cab type, and no prospect of FTTP (though FTTPoD is ‘available’). So, given that some of us lucky people have such good sync speeds, why don’t BT offer a ‘free running’ option whereby there is no arbitrary speed band cap?

Clearly with G.Fast enabled cabs there is the package available to get speeds higher than 80/20. Clearly on VDSL cabs there are a few people who can get speeds higher than 80/20, so why not just let us have it and charge us a tariff above Infinity 2? I’d certainly be interested.

Or is it the fact that the backhaul fibre has insufficient bandwidth on VDSL cabs? Seems BT are missing a trick here.

0 Ratings