cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

ADSL port question and Best wireless adapters for windows 10?

This is 2 questions:

1. I have just moved into a bellway new build and i asked them to put an ethernet cable upstairs in the office room (they instead put an adsl port). In the downstairs toilet is a box with the ONT and 2 ports, an ADSL and an ethernet, as of right now i've got it connected into the ethernet to power all the Ethernet ports around the house and thats working fine, my question is, if i buy a cable that hooks into the downstairs ADSL port will that also power the upstairs ADSL port and i can use a converter to get wired internet to my computer?

2. Failing that, i am looking for a somewhat decent wireless adapter for the time being. I have just bought the tp-link ac1300 t3u wireless adapter (claiming speeds of upto 867) however on my 900mb fibre internet i am getting around 120mb. Can anyone recommend a wireless adapter than give me somewhat decent speeds?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: ADSL port question and Best wireless adapters for windows 10?

No idea what an ADSL port on an ONT is, do you mean a phone port. Whatever it is, it can't be used for internet access.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@Mikeyboiwrote:

This is 2 questions:

1. I have just moved into a bellway new build and i asked them to put an ethernet cable upstairs in the office room (they instead put an adsl port). In the downstairs toilet is a box with the ONT and 2 ports, an ADSL and an ethernet, as of right now i've got it connected into the ethernet to power all the Ethernet ports around the house and thats working fine, my question is, if i buy a cable that hooks into the downstairs ADSL port will that also power the upstairs ADSL port and i can use a converter to get wired internet to my computer?

2. Failing that, i am looking for a somewhat decent wireless adapter for the time being. I have just bought the tp-link ac1300 t3u wireless adapter (claiming speeds of upto 867) however on my 900mb fibre internet i am getting around 120mb. Can anyone recommend a wireless adapter than give me somewhat decent speeds?

Thanks in advance.

That cannot work if more then one device is connected. Ethernet ports cannot be daisy chaned.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

This does work, maybe i've not explained it correctly though. I have an ethernet going from my SH2 into my master ethernet socket, then when i go to my ethernet wall port in my living room i am able to get internet from there.

I either need to try and get an ethernet wall port sorted where the ADSL one was installed or live my life miserably on WIFI, to which i need to find a good WIFI adapter as my computer doesn't have the ability to connect to WIFI.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

If the room you want an Ethernet connection in hasn’t got one , you could try ‘powerline’ type connectors , just connect one at the router end ( Ethernet cable from the router to the power line adapter  ) and in the room Ethernet is required, plug the other power line adapter into a mains socket in that room and an Ethernet cable into the device...in effect it’s a wired Ethernet connection , just using the mains wiring as the connection between the router and device.

0 Ratings