cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ColColCol
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

AMAZING INCOMPETENCE - NEW TO BT INFINITY FROM ORANGE. POOR WORKMANSHIP/CONTRACTORS!!!!!

Where do I start - in simple terms I decided to come back to BT after 18 months  with Orange, with the Infinity package. The 'BT' Engineer - actually a contractor Working on behalf of BT, turned up to install Infinity, opened the BT hub box, disappeared to the 'cab'.  returned 30 mins later.  I asked if he was going to change the existing (and old) ADSLplate for a new one (a BT engineer told me it is needed).  I was told it was not necessary to change it.  He told me that I had broadband but no dial tone -inspired me with confidence not!  Disappeared for another 30 mins, returned, stated I had a dial tone, and left.  Broadband connected, but didn't appear lightening speed.

I called home late pm for a lift home.  Phone was ringing but no answer.  Thank goodness for mobiles.  Lift home - wife told me the phone didn't ring, so blamed the phone.

05:32 am, phone rang, woke us up, lady speaking Chinese on the phone, altogether rather odd.  Same lady 2 mins later.  Same lady at 08:00.  Turned out that my number was very different now (called mobile from landline to obtain the number).  Contacted BT on Saturday to report the fault.  Further phone calls with Chinese speech(eventually explained that BT are onto it).  No landline until following Thursday (inconvenient to say the least).  Broadband slow (buffering a lot). BT (proper engineer) called, fixed the fault (I worked out it was an incorrect connection at the cab), and also changed the ADSL p0late for the required VDSL plate.  Could not explain how or why it happened.

Emails to BT brought out unconvincing responses e.g. perhaps the engineer made a mistake in the connection (whatever happened to checking things are working after installation then).

I asked BT about receiving a fault report - yes I could, apply in writing, and pay £10 for the privilage...nice touch.

I asked about BT compensation details - referred to BT terms etc not w/end, 3 days after day of reporting.

There are so many instances where customers have £120 added to their bill by BT at BT's will, just stating that a fault was not BT's, no retort, or leg to stand on - check out the forum.

I came back to BT, with very high expextations.  I am so disappopinted.  I would have expected BT to have told me why this fault had occurred - BT caused the fault by using a clearly incompetant engineer.  Am I the only one to suffer poor workmanship - no.

What am I going to tell friends, family and colleagues if they ask me all about my BT infinity experience  - speed is great, but is it really worth the worry and hassle....would I recommend BT?......would you?

9 REPLIES 9
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: AMAZING INCOMPETENCE - NEW TO BT INFINITY FROM ORANGE. POOR WORKMANSHIP/CONTRACTORS!!!!!

BT Engineers don't install FTTC Services, all they do the lazy gits is Install ADSL Hubs, Vision STB's and cease/provide swtiches at the Exchange.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Re: AMAZING INCOMPETENCE - NEW TO BT INFINITY FROM ORANGE. POOR WORKMANSHIP/CONTRACTORS!!!!!

@plainview wrote:

BT Engineers don't install FTTC Services, all they do the lazy gits is Install ADSL Hubs, Vision STB's and cease/provide swtiches at the Exchange.

When my FTTC was installed it was a BT Openreach engineer.

Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

Sorry you had a bad experience with your Infinity install. The engineer you had was a contractor who does installs instead of the normal openreach engineer. To be honest with you, they are not very good (Poor Training) It's always best to get an Openreach engineer.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

You mean Openreach, there is no such thing as BT Openreach.

• Is Openreach the same as BT?
    Openreach is part of BT Group but it operates as a separate line of business – serving the needs of all communications providers in a fair and even handed way.

• Why are you not called BT Openreach?
    It’s important that people understand our role in the marketplace. Although we’re part of BT Group we’re there to represent all communication providers. The name enables us to separate our activities from other lines of business in BT Group.

• Why is there a BT logo in the Openreach wordmark?
    Openreach remains part of BT Group and is therefore identified by a logo which includes the BT ‘connected world’ mark. This is important because:
    • it makes it clear that Openreach is part of BT Group
    • trust and awareness of any new company takes years to build – the visual association with BT Group helps ensure that doors are opened and engineers can carry out the work they need to on behalf of all communications providers
    • over time, awareness and trust in Openreach itself will grow. The Expect Openreach website and training is part of a number of activities designed to achieve this.'
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

@plainview wrote:

You mean Openreach, there is no such thing as BT Openreach.

• Is Openreach the same as BT?
    Openreach is part of BT Group but it operates as a separate line of business – serving the needs of all communications providers in a fair and even handed way.

• Why are you not called BT Openreach?
    It’s important that people understand our role in the marketplace. Although we’re part of BT Group we’re there to represent all communication providers. The name enables us to separate our activities from other lines of business in BT Group.

• Why is there a BT logo in the Openreach wordmark?
    Openreach remains part of BT Group and is therefore identified by a logo which includes the BT ‘connected world’ mark. This is important because:
    • it makes it clear that Openreach is part of BT Group
    • trust and awareness of any new company takes years to build – the visual association with BT Group helps ensure that doors are opened and engineers can carry out the work they need to on behalf of all communications providers
    • over time, awareness and trust in Openreach itself will grow. The Expect Openreach website and training is part of a number of activities designed to achieve this.'

Pure semantics!

somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

That's the polite word for it.
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Did you read this part;

'the visual association with BT Group helps ensure that doors are opened and engineers can carry out the work they need to on behalf of all communications providers'

What they are basically saying is they incorporate the BT Group logo on Openreach vehicles because they are all to aware that the majority of the population of the UK can't mentally comprehend what was one company is now two.

0 Ratings
CraigB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Wow Openreach must be proud to have you as an employee. Insulting your customers in every sentence. Classy.

0 Ratings
ColColCol
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Raw nerve touched thinks I..............fair play, I have not encountered such an ar5e for quite a while!
0 Ratings