cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 40

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U AC1900 - anyone tried this on infinity?

It all depends if you want to use an Openreach modem and a router or if you want a one box solution where you have a VDSLModem/router.

The cheapest method will be an Openreach modem and router. You could get an Openreach modem for under £20 and a router for not much more.

Once you have made your decision which method you want, do an Internet search and as long as you stick to big brand names such as Netgear, Asus, TP-Link, Belkin etc you won't go wrong.

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 40

Aye, Hen's... Damned autocorrect! If I may, does the RT-AC68U outperform the HH5? I may well go unlocked OR modem and said device if I have to suffer this idiotic thing much longer. I think I can unlock the modem easily enough.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 40

I think a bean can and string out performs a faulty Homehub 5. It is difficult to say if it would be better without being able to carry out tests in the same environment. There is no reason why it should not perform well.  

0 Ratings
StripeyMiata
Contributor
Message 14 of 40

For what it's worth been running a Linksys E2000 for the last 3 months on BT Infinity and it's been rock solid. Also my Speedtest results went up from 25 Mbps to 27 Mbps, YMMF.

It's an old model now and go for about £50 - http://support.linksys.com/en-eu/support/routers/E2000
0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 40

Well, the plunge has been taken. Dusted off the OR modem - unfortunately, an ECI jobbie - and called into PC World/Curry's and picked up the RT-AC68U, purely and simply because I have had enough. Just got it all connected up a few minutes ago, and so far, so good. Wireless seems stronger, and a quick Speedtest shows my download to be back nearer where it was - still a little way to go, but the whole system just feels quicker.

Next is to get hold of an unlocked Huawei HG612 and get rid of the unwanted interference from on high.

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 40

Bought the DSL-AC68U today. From Currys of all places (£160). It plugs in and just works - even knows Infinity. And it's faster, too. More later, but, for the moment, I'm a happy bunny.
0 Ratings
EvilShubunkin
Contributor
Message 17 of 40

Suggest you keep an eye on the CRC errors shown - mine's not been stable and yesterday when I was testing with it, had 1000 CRC errors in 2 hours soDLM intervened overnight, added 8ms latency and dropped sync by about 10%.

Never had a problem with the ECI modem for the 18 months I've been using it before starting to think about changing to the DSL-AC68U.

There is a new firmware today for the DSL-AC68U, maybe not replicated around all the ASUS support sites which has new DSL firmware so may make it more stable.

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 40

I'll check it out. So far, seeing acceptable levels of CRC errors.
0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 40

The deed is done. Looks, if anything, more stable. still just as fast, too...
0 Ratings
ardsar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 40

When I first connect the Asus, my line speed went from 27M to 30M. However over the past 5 days, DLSM has kicked in and I am now down to 22M. This is with the latest firmware. Whats weird is that after a line drop it was re-syncing at 6dB and for over an hour no CRC errors. Then all of a sudden you could watch the CRC increasing whilst S/N was still at 6db. DLSM has now increased my target s/n to 8dB in order to compensate, so I guess I need to wait 2 weeks now for it to drop!!!!

Asus put back in box and going back to PC world later....such as shame.

0 Ratings