cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 18

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U

Personally, if you can swap the Asus for a different brand I would - or at the very least use it as a router only, not as a modem.

Openreach have a standard called SIN498 which all modems connecting to its network have to meet - to ensure that they will work correctly with fibre - and it's possible that at some stage they will cut off lines using unapproved modems.

Openreach test modems submitted to them in a process called modem comformance testing (MCT). As well as checking that the modem meets the relevant requirements, Openreach test network upgrades against approved modems - otherwise there is a risk that even if a modem works now it might not in future when Openreach change something. 

No Asus modem has passed the MCT process nor will they as Asus refuse to release region specific firmware and their modems allow you to alter settings that Openreach specifically don't want users to alter

One effect of allowing these options to be available, and the default settings on the firmware not being suitable for the UK mean there are reports that Asus modems  are interfering with the lines of other customers.

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 18

The wireless perfomance is stellar on the ASUS - but I might return it and swap for the non modem version. [edit - just remembered, you can designate one of the LAN ports as a WAN port - so I've connected port 1 to the OpenReach modem]

I "think" I'm connected to an ECI cabinet and I have an ECI OpenReach modem that I was using with the HH5 (was far more stable that way than using the modem in the HH5).

Do you have any specific recommendtions regarding an alternative ?? 

0 Ratings
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 18

I use a Zyxel 8924 which is a all in one unit on a Huawei cabinet that  I find works very well and I know has passed MCT.

If you want a separate modem, it might be worth looking at the Draytek's 130 which uses a Lantiq chipset -the same as ECI cabinets 

I haven't used it personally but know others who have been impressed with it

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 18

I don't mind using the OpenReach modem, I would have preferred an all in one unit.  Max budget is in the region of £160.00

Since hooking the OpenReach modem back in and checking the speed on BTWholesale - the IP profile has dropped from 74Mbps to 64Mbps 😞

Of course, I can't see the stats and I don't know if it's interleaved or fastpath, but as the ping is around 25-27, I suspect it's still interleaved.  Time to leave well alone and see if it adjusts itself overnight.

I know that the line is capable of delivering around 73Mbps and a ping of 16

The upload is always spot on at between 18 and 19 Mbps

The Zyxel 8924 is a little out of my price range - £214 on Amazon - any other suggestions ??

0 Ratings
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 18

You can get the 8924 for a lot cheaper on eBay (£50 or less). 

There is also a 8324 model but that doesn't support 'ac' wifi 

Otherwise you might want to look at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/board,5.0.html for suggestions.

I know Zyxel have also released a VMG3925/6 but there is little posted about them yet
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 18

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the DSL-AC68U.

If you're on an ECI cabinet then try turning off G.INP & then let it stabilise for a while.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
stanster
Contributor
Message 17 of 18

How easy is it to switch from the HH5 to the Asus ?

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 18

Not at all difficult, just plug it in and enter the user name etc - it was up and running in 5 minutes.

I will say that my line experienced significant CRC errors when I was using the ASUS as a modem, which resulted in me dropping to interleaved rather than fast path - I plugged my OpenReach modem in and designated port 1 on the ASUS as a WAN port and have been using the ASUS as a router/AP (for which it is brilliant).

I have experienced some issues over the last 6-8 weeks in relation to a loss of 30% of my download performance and I stuck the HH5 back in this morning.  I immediatly saw an increase in sync speed and the IP profile went up from 51Mbps to 56Mbps.  I will run it like this for a few days and see what happens.

I wonder if it's possible that my ECI OpenReach modem is unwell?

Can BT detect anything on the LAN side of the modem ?

0 Ratings