cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

AWFUL TIME WITH BT!

I'll try to keep this short.

New builds sold ~March 2020. First people move in and contact BT almost right away to sign up for Broadband and TV, they have problems with getting setup. Another household just wants Broadband, they sign up for BT broadband in September, lastly I finally get around to decided I want TV and Broadband from BT in October.

3 Households wanting BT services. 6 to 12 months ago they signed up for these services......

Nothing has yet been done. The cables that lead from our houses were never connected up to the point under the pedestrian walkway and for some reason every time one of our households phones to ask what is going on, BT / Openreach send someone who is not expecting to have to connect these wires up, saying they don't have the tools / skills to do so and were only assigned to wire up inside/put a small box thing at the front of the property and for some reason they say they can't do that until the wiring that is sitting in ducting from our houses to the point under the pedestrian walkway which is not connected to anything at either end.....

We even had someone from Openreach turn up who 2 of the households spoke to and he told us he worked over here doing some cabling months ago and couldn't believe the work hadn't been finished. He phoned his boss to arrange for someone to come and do the work, this was in December, nobody turned up.

Here we are in the middle of March 2021 and the other day I phoned BT and asked them to tell Openreach to send the right person to do the job and made sure they knew 100% what needed to be done. They have arranged for someone to come over and do the work today..... I am not expecting anything to be done, both BT and Openreach are the most incompetent companies I have ever come across. There's either something they are not telling us or the manager at Openreach has an IQ of 10.

So, if the work isn't done today.....

What is the situation with me telling BT to bugga off and that I do not want the BT TV package they have not provided me with, I never want it. I will now go with SKY and get a satellite dish. Are BT within their rights to hold me to this contract, or is the contract only in place from the day they set it up? obviously I am not paying anything yet. I just want to know if I say to them now that the fact they have taken 1 year and done nothing, provided no TV, is an absolute joke so I want to cancel the TV package from ever being setup.

As for broadband - I am not sure if there's any other way to get decent broadband other than from them wiring up our houses? and the only other provider is Virgin, although my neighbour said Virgin can't provide broadband to our houses, so I need to double check this.

If anyone has any ideas of how to get setup with broadband otherways - then let me know. I do currently use the hotspot on my phone which works ok. If you also know anything about getting SKY TV and if it's an easy process - please let me know. It would be great if I could phone up SKY and within a couple of weeks finally have TV.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: AWFUL TIME WITH BT!

I'm sure you could easily get out of your BT TV contract if they've not been able to provide the service. Sky is an option and the setup would be straightforward however bear in mind that Sky Q requires an internet connection otherwise the installer cannot activate the service and the box will complain frequently.

Without a phone line then you've only got your mobile broadband.

Personally I would continue to pursue BT/Openreach because if you ever want to sell the house then the people buying it are going to expect to be able to get broadband.

Message 3 of 18

Hi, thanks for the reply.

My neighbours have managed to get a USB dongle with free internet and a BT homehub due to the excessive time they have waited for BT/OPENREACH to sort them out....

BT said to me that if Openreach don't do the job today to phone BT again and ask for a homehub....

Does anyone know how the homehub works, what channels I get and will it be free to use?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Hi @surfer9 

If you live in a strong EE 4G coverage area, then perhaps you could enquire about getting BT Broadband using the new Hybrid Connect as a stop gap until you get connected. It uses a Smart Hub 2 router with the Hybrid Connect 4G modem added on.  I have had no problems with Sky Q while connected using the Hybrid Connect.

https://www.bt.com/help/bt-halo/learn-about-bt-halo/what-is-hybrid-connect-

The home hub is a broadband router and not a TV box.

Message 5 of 18

@VeteranISPUserWithout a TV box how can the OP get BT TV?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

@pippincpwrote:

@VeteranISPUserWithout a TV box how can the OP get BT TV?

Hi @pippincp   Sorry, you have lost me! I have no idea of why you mentioned a BT TV box which doesn’t work with Hybrid Connect.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

I too am having a bad time with BT as an exisiting customer. I was supposed to be ugraded to Fibre last week, but there was a debris block (visible to eyes) in duct that the attending engineers could not unblock. From then a week has passed and unbridaled confusion has rained upon me !!

Been on the phone for over 45 minutes twice to be told communications would improve only for me to recieve the exact same useless information twice in a row, and then I received an email saying my case/complaint was closed.

Seems to me that informaton flow from Openreach to BT is fragmented at the very least-I am tempted to unblock the duct myself but I am just not sure what good it would do as I am not clea how the informtion could be relayaed to openreach. I can only hope that the girl I last spoke to keeps her word and calls me back so I can get an update as I really do not want to spend 45 minutes on the phone to be told the same thing again. Funnily enough the Openreach text message while telling me it could be 12 weeks to fix also nicely said "dont bother phoning BT as they will not know anything" wow !!!!

It would be great to estabish an email discussion, as at least I would not have to spend an ever increasing time explaining to a new operator what my issue is as well, and I would have evidence of the issues and efforts I am going and facing to try to fix this.

Very Poor from BT and I still have no clue when my Fibre will be installed  mind boggles!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

As far as I am aware I should be getting compensation from BT for the fact I have had nothing set up after 6 months....

I asked on the phone if I was getting compensation and the guy said yes though he didn't seem 100% sure....

At what point should compensation start? is it right after the first date they arrange for an engineer to come round to set you up, but they fail to do so for whatever reason?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

I am hopeful that link will be useful in the future ! Just understanding not even when but if someone is addressing my issue would be a start ! Almost at the point of telling them to stick it !
0 Ratings