cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Absolutely hopeless!

As a long term User of BT's Infinity FTTC, that's something like 8 years, I finally have to admit what many others have said. And that's BT is useless at fault fixing and customer support.

I worked in and with IT for over 25 years, I know the difference between dropped wifi connection by a device and dropped internet connection to the cabinet \ exchange. I know when it's highly unlikely there's a fault on my side of the BT master socket because all the supplied exquipment in BT OEM. I know not to frequently unplug the BT HH and I know when 1st line support tell you to re start your HH every 30 days that they're chatting rubbish. But they wont listen to the customer.

For over 6 years on Infinity, I enjoyed rock steady internet connection with speeds of upto 56mbps but average of 52mbps. For the last 14 months, Ive been plagued with dropped connections (not wifi!) of anything between a day or 2 to about 37 days. Occasionally, there were a few 50+ day connections with one lasting about 78 days.

Since the turn of this year, connections have lasted a maximum 14 days. My speed dropped to just over 50mbps with a couple of stints at 53mbps.

I eventually decided to contact BT via chat. All you get are people reading from a script. A gem of advice was I 'must restart my HH every 30 days to ensure I get software updates and that restarting the HH every 30 days will help it stay connected for longer than 30 days'! Erm, what?!

I escalated this to a supervisor and agreed to an 'engineer's' visit. They were also good enough to give me a £20 goodwill gesture but recorded my fault as 'slow speed.' When I saw this via Track my fault, I contacted them to correct this. Despite that being a week ago, when the 'engineer' turned up he said he was investigating a 'slow speed' fault.

After explaining the proper issue, I asked if he was checking the street cabinet. Nope, he said, that's Openreach. Arent you Openreach I asked? Nope, but he proceeded to replace my main BT socket with the 'latest' BT one.

We both checked the connection and now my speed has dropped to 49mbps. That's disappointing I said, what happens if I still get frequent disconnect as well? Call BT he said. Dont get me wrong, the guy was a nice chap but that's not the point. He wasnt an engineer, support logged an incorrect issue and even when I corrected that 3 days before the visit, he was still no wiser.

Before he left, he said if I need to access the test socket, just take the face plate off like this and caused another dropped connection. My speed has now dropped to 47mbps.

I wish Id never flaming bothered. Ive the 'latest' BT main socket and now lost over 3mbps speed. The guy said he didnt think my line supported speed over 50mbps. Well that's really strange because for over 6 years it did just that and was stable so something in the BT infrastructure has changed.Really strange another, bigger street cabinet appeared next to 'mine' about 14 months ago. Must just be a coincidence.

Not good enough for a line that used to provide rock solid connections of over 50mbps now doesnt never mind a customer who has been with BT for such a period of time.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Absolutely hopeless!

sounds like more people on your cabinets causing crosstalk resulting in drop in connection speed

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi.

No disrespect but are you just another 1st Level support adviser or are you part and parcel of BT's fault resolution department that can actually have a greater input to resolving issues?

My Infinity service needs monitoring over a period to note the dropped internet connections. Due to HH6 restarts, the Event Log only goes back to 6 March 21.

I suspect my speed has dropped since the visit today as the guy disconnected it from the socket but left it powered up so it went over 215000 seconds according to the log unable to connect to the DSL. Then once it did establish a connection when plugged into the new socket, him disconnecting it from the face plate within a matter of minutes didnt help and knocked a couple more meg off the speed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

In case you hadn't noticed, this is a customer to customer self help forum.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@licquoricewrote:

In case you hadn't noticed, this is a customer to customer self help forum.

Thanks for your input.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@curiousfellow 

As you had posted in the forum previously I assumed, obviously wrongly, that you knew this was a customer help customer forum and everyone here apart from the forum mods are customers just like you

up to you if you post the information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@curiousfellow wrote:

"I worked in and with IT for over 25 years"

And yet you still don't know the difference between mbps and Mbps?

You'd have real grounds for complaint if you were only getting 47mbps

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

If and when they send an Openreach Engineer out make sure you let him know you work in IT as they find it reassuring that they’re speaking to someone who knows everything.

Message 9 of 9

I have enough trouble understanding Mbps or MBps with out trying to work out mbps and Mbps.
0 Ratings