cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Accurate speed ?!?!?

I have completed can online check of my speed of internet .. why does the BT site say Good yet OFCOM says poor ?! Who do I trust.

i have this Very ugly 30cm/30cm box That was fitted in my living room so would expect better than this - BT please can you look into this ?! I’m paying you for a service which I’m not sure I’m really getting and you don’t check yet expect us to 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Accurate speed ?!?!?

Good morning.

So that any of the voluntary BT customers can provide some help and/or advice, you really need to provide a bit more information, advise what the problem is and which particular BT package you have.

Also, try this speed test :  BT Speed Test 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

So I have many issues with speed and connection this is why I have carried out a line test ... ? 
I have already been on BT line test as I stated. Along with OFCOM , yet both are very different . I’m happy if you want to mail me personally to take this off forum but you can see my details and concern ‘ the difference in line speed’

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

From your description is sounds like you are on FTTP  and have something like this

ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

Which bt package do you have.  Remember any speeds quoted by BT or any other ISP are connection speeds not download speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

The OFCOM one tests to whatever device you are using however the BT one tests to the point they are responsible for. Have you tried running ethernet tests to see what you can get as it looks as if the difference may be over wi-fi or something

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Yes that’s the beast of a box I have ... I used to work within BT so package foc, now we were sold off and I have to pay for fibre I want to ensure I’m getting what I paid for .. also when I walk into kitchen my phone internet goes off and picks up 4G as my hub isn’t found ?! 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Thank so what is bt responsible for ? 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Speed to the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@Loobyloo170 wrote:

Yes that’s the beast of a box I have ... I used to work within BT so package foc, now we were sold off and I have to pay for fibre I want to ensure I’m getting what I paid for .. also when I walk into kitchen my phone internet goes off and picks up 4G as my hub isn’t found ?! 

I would change the setting in your smart phone as it is obviously set to select the stronger signal of wifi or 4g so if moving to kitchen reduces wifi signal and 4g appears faster then your phone will switch - even though wifi is probably still received by your phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings