Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedGreenBen
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Achievable Speed > Sync Speed?

Go to solution

I have an issue where BT declared my fault fixed (after no broadband connection at all) but speeds are stubbornly about 10-15% slower than pre-fault.

I have noted that my sync speed has dropped and is lower than the download speed promised to me when I signed-up. The Level 2 offshore support guy told me this wasn't a problem. I assume he is right but wanted to ask here as my (definitely non-expert!) understanding was that the sync speed was effectively a ceiling on achievable speed?

Secondly, he also told me that the brief connection losses that I now have daily (sessions last ten of hours rather than the weeks pre-fault) are also unrelated.

Any advice gratefully received (even if it is 'shut up, listen to the expert and stop posting here 🙂 ).

Thanks

Ben 

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: Achievable Speed > Sync Speed?

Go to solution

What do you mean by Achievable Speed? Your sync speed is certainly a ceiling on actual throughput speed, which is the speed reported by speedtesters.

Please post your full Home Hub router stats
Learn how from here Broadband Top Tips

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

@RedGreenBen wrote:

Any advice gratefully received (even if it is 'shut up, listen to the expert and stop posting here 🙂 ).

Thanks

Ben 

Thanks for the laugh, offshore support are far removed from experts!

Sounds like there was a line fault which may mean that DLM is still taking action on your line until it can see stability again. This could also explain the drop outs you are experiencing.

As @XRaySpeX has requested post your hub stats and we should be able to see if this is the case.

It is also worth conducting a quiet line test on 17070 option 2 to see if the line problem has been fully resolved.

0 Ratings
RedGreenBen
Beginner
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks to both for the replies.

1. Yes, I'm just using the incorrect term. My concern was that my current sync speed is lower than my pre-fault throughput speed.

2. Pre-fault I had a sync speed of 80 and throughput speed of ~76. dslchecker output below.

dslchecker.JPG

3. Hub stats output below (note speeds have deteriorated further).

hubstats.JPG

4. I tried the quiet line test but a bit subjective, no loud crackling but not anechoic chamber silent either.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Given the now frequent drop-outs and much reduced speeds then BT are going to send an engineer but I am nervous of getting stung the call-out if not their fault (they say no problem on their network but I am plugged into master socket). The original connection loss was restored >1 week ago and speeds have only been getting worse.

Ben

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

There's something very wrong. Your sync speed is well below the Handback Threshold. There must be a fault for the eng. to find.

Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies. To cut a long story short (BT cancel engineer as they have found fault at exchange; engineer not told this and gets a bit arsey when we aren't at house and he has to climb a pole in the rain etc etc)...

Error found when engineer finally plugs clever device into master socket box...

20170918_125704.jpg

I wasn't here so I am getting this secondhand from my significant-other.

1.  Am I correct to conclude that this suggests a problem between the mastersocket and our extension socket (which can cause a problem even when using master socket?).

2. If this is the case, can I just disconnect the pair that leaves that box in the direction of the extension? (and stop using the extension obviously).

3. Would it be worth trying a different colour pair and are tools available to make these connections?

4. Even if I plug the router into the testing socket I do not get full speed. The engineer implied (as he rushed out the door) that I would need to contact BT to have something reset once the wiring issues were addressed. Clarification helpful.

Any answers to those 4 questions would be gratefully received, thanks for not giving me a hard time for complaining about perfectly good double-digit speeds 🙂

Ben

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

That eng. report implies you have an Impacted line & gives lie to BT Checker's "Bridge Tap = N". Your current speed is still below Impacted line Handback Threshold.

1. No. The eng. would've plugged into test socket which eliminates extensions. Therefore 2. & 3. are pointless.

4. Confirms 1.

RedGreenBen
Beginner
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for prompt for response, it is a strange world where random people on forums are more helpful than BT 🙂

You may though have to speak a bit more slowly to me as I haven't understood your points. Also, as further background info that I probably should have included, my downstream sync jumped to 67 a few days ago..

Having interrogated the person who was actually here at the time, she thinks that this error was only shown when plugged into the outside of the master-socket box and not when the testing socket inside the box was used. He described that as "working perfectly". The engineer seemed to imply that removing the extension pair would solve all of our problems but we would need to contact BT to then return us to full speed.

Does that sound a plausible scenario and if so are my earlier questions valid?

Thanks again.

Ben

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

There seems to be some discrepancy here, in your post earlier you said that connecting to the test socket didn't improve speed whereas you imply that the engineer said the speed was ok at the test socket. By connecting at the test socket you are effectively removing your internal wiring.

0 Ratings
RedGreenBen
Beginner
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Yes discrepancies may be due to 'chinese whispers' effect as info is third-hand. Apologies that this doesn't help those trying to help me. In summary...

1.  As best as I can tell the engineer's tests identified the fault to be with our wiring. However I am still confused that if I plug my router into the test socket (removing all our wiring) then I still don't get full speeds (67 v 80 sync).

2.  BT have just called me to say that they still believe the fault is at the exchange and can be remedied without an engineer visiting the property. Surely the engineer who visited today would have detected this issue?

'Confused' doesn't even begin to do it justice.

Ben

0 Ratings