cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Activation Day - Still no internet or dial tone

Go to solution

I have read a lot of the forum post regarding this, and it could be I am just too impatient, it's not midnight yet. 

The engineer visited this morning at 8.30, and put in a new (extra) phone line which rings when I call it from my mobile but not the actual phone. I don't get a dial tone on the phone, and the hub has been mostly flashing purple (although I would say it's more a pinky colour) but earlier was flashing orange. The engineer didn't check that I was fully working as he was only allowed to stay in the house for maximum of 15 mins due to Covid, so I didn't plug my hub in until after he'd left. I got the text messages from BT to say I was all up and running, and my order has been closed. It's not a broadband move, it's a new second line for working from home. 

Is there anything else it could be, does it really sometimes take until midnight to activate? Should I have a dial tone even if my broadband hasn't been activated yet. 

The documentation for the purple light does say either cables not connected, or you haven't been activated so I am hoping there's no fault and it should suddenly start working. I have checked the cables, I am running through a microfilter.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Activation Day - Still no internet or dial tone

Go to solution

You have a fault as you haver no dial tone. You need to ring in and report a no dial tone fault.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks - still nothing today, so have logged and reported a no dial tone fault with BT, they can't get an engineer out until Monday, line checks are all ok from their side so it must be something to do with the installation.

They are suggesting broadband will probably be fine once the dial tone issue is fixed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

@Wildpaw 

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
It's number 2
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

@Wildpaw wrote:
It's number 2

That one is known to give intermittent faults.

Please connect things up as shown below, and see if you get dial tone and broadband.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

I have tried as you suggested. Last night I did just plug the phone straight into the test socket.

Today I plugged in exactly as the picture you attached. I still don't have a dial tone, and the hub is now flashing purple instead of orange.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

@Wildpaw wrote:

I have tried as you suggested. Last night I did just plug the phone straight into the test socket.

Today I plugged in exactly as the picture you attached. I still don't have a dial tone, and the hub is now flashing purple instead of orange.

Thanks

Then there is nothing else you can do, apart from wait for Openreach to visit.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for trying to help.

I was slightly bemused by how the connection was made from the socket where the phone plugs in, to the cable coming in from outside, unless there's a connection behind the plastic that I can't see.

Also unscrewed the face plate to see if anything appeared to be not connected on the other side, just looks like a white and orange wire which look securely connected, the other wires aren't used.

BT already booked so will have to wait for Monday.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@Wildpaw wrote:

Thanks for trying to help.

I was slightly bemused by how the connection was made from the socket where the phone plugs in, to the cable coming in from outside, unless there's a connection behind the plastic that I can't see.

Also unscrewed the face plate to see if anything appeared to be not connected on the other side, just looks like a white and orange wire which look securely connected, the other wires aren't used.

BT already booked so will have to wait for Monday.

The only connections should be behind the back plate, and that would just be a single pair of wires which would normally be blue and white/blue, which is the first pair that is normally used.

The second pair would be orange  white/orange.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

There would be no connections made to the extension connection block, unless you have other extension sockets.

Does your phone line come in underground, or from a pole?

0 Ratings