cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Activation day

Go to solution

So it's my activation day today, moving from Sky to BT - I've read some stories on here with problems moving from Sky, so I'm already thinking something is going wrong. 

My Sky Fibre went off this morning dead on 8am, so changed routers over and my BT hub is just displaying the orange light. 

I know BT advise anything up to 11:30 pm for activation, however, the email I received said on average I should only be without internet for 30 mins or so. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Activation day

Go to solution

@terry821 

That would seem about right. The 30 minutes would only be true if you were moving between providers that use the BT Wholesale network. Sky have their own network, so it will take longer to do the changeover.

Can you get dial tone on your phone yet?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you - Sadly I don't use the landline so don't have a phone to plugin to test. 

I'll wait patiently in the hope it comes on at some point today.  Working from home so just being impatient.  🙂

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@terry821 wrote:

Thank you - Sadly I don't use the landline so don't have a phone to plugin to test. 

I'll wait patiently in the hope it comes on at some point today.  Working from home so just being impatient.  🙂

Really you need to plug in a cheap wired phone to check, as unless you are getting dial tone, then you are not going to get any broadband, as that would indicate a fault, probably on the  external network.

See if you can borrow a phone, or get a cheap wired phone for less than £10. Its really useful in an emergency, and also to check if you ever have a line fault in the future, or a noisy phone line, which will affect your broadband speed.

The alternative is just to wait, and then if it does not work, you would have to contact BT tomorrow.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I thought that was a good idea, so headed out to my local Argos. 

By the time I got back, the internet was on!!  

Thanks for your help today! 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@terry821 wrote:

I thought that was a good idea, so headed out to my local Argos. 

By the time I got back, the internet was on!!  

Thanks for your help today! 

Excellent 😀

Keep the phone somewhere safe, as you may need it one day. Your address can be located right away, in an emergency, which is something that cannot be done on a mobile.

If you plug it in and dial 17070, it will read back your phone number. If you then select option 2, quiet line test, you can check for a noisy line, just in case you have broadband problems.