cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Activation delay

Go to solution

Hi All

I was wondering if someone could shed light on what could be going on here. 

I ordered BT FTTP 900 on 30 September, with the engineer appointment set as 23 October.

The day arrives and the engineer turns up late morning within the agreed slot but says he needs a harness for the pole and would be back later... comes back around 5.30pm with a colleague and installs the fibre line from the pole to the house and Openreach modem/ ONT in my house.  He connects the Smart hub.

Hangs around a bit and says the hub solid orange should go blue in half an hour and leaves (about 8pm).  

Half an hour later still orange ... midnight still orange.

I also notice the ONT modem PON light is flashing green, the power light is solid green, LOS light solid green.

Call BT Fibre team on 24th and they said the order needed closing manually and should be activated by midnight. 

Come midnight still orange 🟧 .

Call again 25th and BT Fibre team say Openreach to sort out on 27th.

Come 27th get email saying activated but hub still orange, PON light still flashing green.

Wait till midnight and no change.

Done restarts of hub but no joy, don't think that is the issue anyway.

Painful.  I'll call again and post an update.

(My brother across the road had fibre installed from the same pole but activation was smooth).

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Activation delay

Go to solution

you need to persevere with FTTP team who will help with your connection problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Yes, just spoke to a lady at the BT Fibre team and she ran diagnostics and raised a fault.   She said that Openreach need to look into it and solve externally or book a visit if required.   She would also monitor the progress.

The target date for resolution is 2 November but could be solved earlier.

I also gave her the serial number of the sticker on my ONT in case that helped.

I'll post again when I get an update.

(Just a correction on my first post above, where I say LOS green, I meant LAN)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Just received a bill from BT, so that section of BT seems to be working fine 🤔. I asked about automatic compensation and that takes some time to come through.   It appears they have taken activation as the 27th even though nothing changed.  I guess Openreach did some cursory checks and informed BT.  In any case, a fault was raised on the 28th which may kick in even higher compensation:

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Latest update is showing they aim to solve the fault by Thursday, 5 Nov - I noticed the date getting pushed out over time.  Based on that, currently, I calculate compensation as:

1) Delayed activation/ order completion.  Planned date: 23 Oct; Actual date: 28 Oct (although I didn't see anything change from my end on 28 Oct).   5 days x £5 = £25

2) If Fault not fixed until 5 November, clock starts ticking 2 working days after fault reported on 28 Oct, so from 31 Oct - 5 days x £8 (plus £8 as not fixed by 30 Oct) = £48

I hope it doesn't drag on but I have read some horror stories 🙂 

(Note: On 15 August 2020, Openreach lifted all Coronavirus related restrictions. So from this date, automatic compensation will now be paid in all eligible scenarios.)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

All sorted now 🙂, tested speeds:

700 - 900 approx. on wired.

25 - 400 approx. on wi-fi (depends on device/ location).  Using a Netgear MESH extender with BT Smart Hub 2 which works well. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I think I'll be in a similar situation... Still orange at 9:30pm - and the engineer left around midday... He wanted to activate on the spot but something was wrong... Not BT is giving me the usual "midnight will be the activation" talk... But i don't think that will be the case

0 Ratings